How to prevent plant populations from showing up on water?

Started by choronr, August 19, 2008, 03:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Hi Bob,

Haven't determined yet if it is the origin, a part of, or neither any of both are part of the problem, but why did you set the quality of your clouds to 438 samples which is equivalent to a quality of 6.88??
That's very very high. I see you've set your atmosphere samples to 16, which is very low.
The reason you've probably set cloudsamples this high is because of noise, but looking at these settings the noise is caused by too less atmosphere samples rather than cloud samples.

I'd go for atmosphere samples ~48 and cloud samples ~80. Same quality result and 15% faster rendering. Just checked that with 640x480 renders of your file without any models.
Those renders finished without any problems by the way, but haven't tried the full res yet, because lack of time.

Martin

choronr

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the tests. The reason the cloud samples are so high is that when I changed another setting (I wish I could remember which one), the cloud samples increased quite a bit ...so, I left it alone. I will try your suggestion once the problem is fixed. The final render was 1280 x 960 and took almost 3.5 hours ...then came the error messages.

choronr

choronr

Hi Martin,

I tried your suggestion of resetting the Atmo/Clouds quality to 48/80 and re-rendered with the same results: TG Error message and a Runtime Error message.

Bob

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: choronr on August 24, 2008, 03:56:32 PM
Hi Martin,

I tried your suggestion of resetting the Atmo/Clouds quality to 48/80 and re-rendered with the same results: TG Error message and a Runtime Error message.

Bob

I had my doubts about that too. It was mostly meant to mention you about how these 2 settings relate to each other. Didn't really expect it to solve the problem and as you've tested, it didn't.
I didn't have had the time to fully test-render it on my machine.
Hope to do that soon.

Martin

choronr

Matt

Bob, have you tried rendering this at a smaller image size? Does it finish rendering?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

choronr

Hi Matt,

No, I haven't tried a smaller size. The render I tried was 1280 x 960. I will try a 1024 x 768; and, a smaller size if that don't work.

Question: I had sent Oshyan the .tgd and an image map file including instructions to get the terrain file on my web site. Do you have this?

Bob

choronr

Hi Matt,

Here is a try with a 1024 x 768 render. One error message: 'An unknown error occurred in the render thread'. There were no warnings. So far, the errors are winning!

Bob

Cyber-Angel

choronr,

This may be along shot (Shot in the dark maybe) have you had a look in the Computer Management Tool found in the Administrative Tools in the Control Panel and looked at the Event Viewer and looked "Application" there maybe more information about the problem there weather its some application error or what have you, some thing to look at maybe?

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel     

choronr

choronr

Matt,

Finally, the image rendered at 1014 x 761; kind of small but no problems.

Have you received the original .tgd file with associated files and run any tests to determine the problems?

Bob

Oshyan

I did some limited testing to see if I could reproduce the problem but I was unable to do so. I don't have all the files in the scene though. I rather suspect this may simply be running into the limits of your computer system though.

- Oshyan

choronr

Hi Oshyan,

I had sent you a list of components that comprise my system some time ago. I doubt that this is the case. I've attached it again for your review.

Bob

Oshyan

Unless you have Vista x64, then it's still more than possible that it's a memory limitation since - regardless of how much memory you have - TG can only use up to 2GB (just under realistically).

I will try to do some more tests this weekend, but unless you're having consistent trouble with other scenes I would just chalk it up to this one being demanding for some reason.

- Oshyan