Populations: can you set altitude

Started by tsuki, October 24, 2008, 01:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

As I said, scale should always work the same *on the same objects*. Are you getting any errors when loading the scene? Are you sure there is not some other reason that the objects are not being seen anymore? Are they not visible *in a render* or in the 3D preview window only? Populating does not seem to fix it?

- Oshyan

tsuki

It's the same population I was working with. I didn't see any error messages. They are visible in the 3D preview if I select "preview instances", and the box is always visible, but it doesn't show up in render, and no, populating doesn't fix it :\

Oshyan

Perhaps they are below the terrain? Do you have "Sit on terrain" checked, and is it referencing the planet surface? Check the object position numbers too and make sure there is no offset. Ultimately it may be necessary for you to share a .tgd or at least a screenshot of your node network.

- Oshyan

tsuki

I do have "sit on terrain" checked. It was set on Computer Terrain by default, but I also tried imputting my heightfield shader, with no luck. Looking at the position numbers (under the distribution tab, the area center... is that what I should be looking at?) they looked okay, although I played around with the x value a bit to see if that did anything. As I am looking, I notice that the translate values are all 0... I'm not sure if they are supposed to be :\ I would gladly upload images or the entire file

Oshyan

Yes, they are all supposed to be at 0. And the Compute Terrain is what your population should be "sitting on", I erred in my previous response.

If you do provide the .tgd file you will also need to send the object file and terrain that are involved, otherwise we can't accurately reproduce the problem. If possible can you package all the scene elements up (preferably in a ZIP or RAR file) and send to support AT planetside.co.uk?

- Oshyan

Matt

tsuki, this sounds like it might the bug which I recently fixed with the Grass Clump object. Changing some parameters in the object resets its transformation (i.e. its translation, rotation and scale), ignoring the values you put it. I am not sure, but it could also give the wrong results after loading a file. The way to get around this bug is to make a change to any of the translate, rotate, or scale values and then all should be correct.

This bug has been fixed for the Beta.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

tsuki