2 renders...

Started by Rich, January 31, 2007, 09:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

hey, here are 2 of my latest renders if anyone wants to check them out....

1. A desert scene with low lying thick clouds and some high cirrus
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47801760/

2.A snowy scene
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/47795074/

old_blaggard

I really like the clouds in your desert scene.  Your small sand dunes look good, but I think it would have brought the image to the next level if you had made some dunes with a larger scale and maybe added a small scaled fake stones shader with low to medium density.  Your snow scene looks nice too, aside from a slightly (in my opinion) too sharp boundary between the snow and the rock.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Rich

thanks...i wanted to make the dunes have that wispy overhang look, im not smart enough yet...
and i know about the snow-rock boundary but i dont know how to make it look better :(
anyway, thanks for the comment.

Will

I love the desert scene, the snowy scene is good too but it does not have the same feel.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

king_tiger_666

great ripples on the dunes... are they done with a texture or another method?

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

Samoth

Those are 2 very nice renders.

keep up the good work ^^

crazymonkey

really nice atmos in both pieces :)

Rich

thanks, they are not done with a texture, but are actually a part of the terrain.

Dark Fire

Quote from: Will on February 01, 2007, 05:20:10 AM
I love the desert scene, the snowy scene is good too but it does not have the same feel.

Regards,

Will
I agree with Will here - the images are both great but, for some reason, I seem to like the desert one more. I suppose it's because too many mountain renders have been done with Terragen, whereas that desert render looks like nothing I've ever seen before...

littlecannon

Quote from: Rich on February 02, 2007, 05:33:03 PM
thanks, they are not done with a texture, but are actually a part of the terrain.

Hi Rich
Great images, I think the dunes are outstanding and by far the better image imo.
Could you explain a bit more about the displacement method you used to achieve the sand ripples please.
Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

mrwho

yeah, please explain how you got the dune ripples (displacement?)

Rich

ok i think i can explain it.
The basic part is a displacement shader, that goes into compute terrain.
On the function input of the displacement shader attach a Perlin 3D scalar. On the input of that attach a Multiply vector. Multiply vector has 2 inputs. On one is a "Get position", and on the other is a "Constant vector". My XYZ values for the Constant vector are 0.7,3,3. That's prettymuch it, then I added a terrain to the input of the Displacement shader. Oh and the Displacement shader displacement multiplier value is set to 0.15. I also added very small stones of a slightly different colour to give texture to the sand, and currently am rendering an updated version with more small scale ripples in the sand (added another displacement shader that has a build vector)

John2k6

king_tiger_666

will be giving that a go at some stage.. thanks for sharing

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

littlecannon

Thanks Rich, well explained.

Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...