vue 7 testing

Started by lightning, December 17, 2008, 01:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightning

im testing out the new vue 7 pioneer open beta and its not that bad
the default clouds suck but i think wih abit of tweaking you could easily get them to near terragen 2 standard
here is jut a test shot i did

the main improvement with terragen 2 is the speed it so quick!
this picture here only took 9 minutes to render!
im getting sick of terragen 2 at the moment not because of the ui etc its the render times they are just ridiculous most of time i compose a terragen scene but give up because it takes so damn long to render >:(

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: lightning on December 17, 2008, 01:09:59 AM

the main improvement with terragen 2 is the speed it so quick!
this picture here only took 9 minutes to render!
im getting sick of terragen 2 at the moment not because of the ui etc its the render times they are just ridiculous most of time i compose a terragen scene but give up because it takes so damn long to render >:(

I agree...I've 3 weeks off now and plenty of time to play with TG2 for the LOTR-contest for example.
Though I'm still using a quadcore the sluggishness of TG2 spoils too much of the fun working with it.
It takes ages to design a proper scene because test-renders also take ages.

About the Vue7 Pioneer edition...I can't get it? The link is not responding :s

halsteadk

I can't get through to either the Pioneer website or the main e-on website today - I guess they are overloaded with everyone wanting the free beta!

PorcupineFloyd

That's quite the point.

But what comes next is software cost. If we compare TG2 and Vue7 capabilities and also take their cost for account - TG2 is ways superior over Vue.

TG2 is cheap compared to Vue 7 Infinite for example.

And well... e-on has some more people to work on Vue, so we have some neat hybrid functionality and optimizations (2.5D DOF, Shadow maps etc.)

But take this Vue 7 and try doing a 3000 x 2000 render with procedural terrain with displaced texture (not bump mapped), soft shadows and spectral atmosphere with thick cumulus clouds and global radiosity as lightning.

mr-miley

One thing I would say (and this is not a dig at lightning) is that those clouds LOOK like they rendered in 9 mins. If this was a microscopic close up of a bit of cotton wool, then I would say "excellent". Clouds... naaaa. As PorcupineFloyd says, start using it in the style of TG2 and see how long it takes to render then
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

reck

They are quite noisy as well. I think it you dropped a lot of the quality settings in tg2 you could get times a lot closer to vue. I'm glad tg gives us the option to render at ultra high quality, after all you can always turn things off and reduce quality if you want vue times at vue quality.

efflux

TG2 is slow but it's more realistic.

You could try faking 3D clouds more in TG2. I've not really tried this but I did do it in Mojoworld. I got sick of the volumetric cloud rendering times and actually hardly ever did any so I faked 2D clouds to look better, mostly by having the 2D layer so high above the planet that you couldn't see the flatness. I'm not sure if this kind of fakery can be made to works in TG2.

The best thing in Vue is the vegetation. That is used a lot for movie matte paintings. Volumetric clouds are rarely used due to render times and clouds are quite easy to paint in at post stage.

Thinking now, it probably wouldn't work well in TG2, just to raise the clouds, due to the TG2 atmosphere.

Another trick might be to render at lower settings then fix in post since clouds are whispy and easy to post edit. Some kind of compositing maybe.

PorcupineFloyd

Flat cumulus looks awful, but 2D altocumulus can do the talking if tweaked well.

Oshyan

Render times are really going to depend on the system, of course. But I did try a quick test of a "similar" scene (clouds only, high altitude, billowy, pillar-like clouds) and rendered in about 8 minutes on a Q6600, quad core 2.4Ghz. That is really almost a middling machine these days, a newer Core i7 would probably equal or beat it. :) But the thing is this scene and the one I did were a bit noisy. So I wonder more what the render times would be like when bringing quality up to scratch...

- Oshyan