HowTo merge procedrual terrain with DEM terrain?!?!?!?

Started by rodpacker1, February 11, 2009, 04:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodpacker1

Hey guys,

this is probably very simple to solve but I am new to Terragen and after spending quite a bit of effort (and with that good learning experience) I can still not get my procedural shader merge with my Heightfield loader and need help.

What I am trying to achieve:
I am trying to manually built a crevasse field into a Heightmap derived from a DEM. 

1. So I created and modified a procedural shader using this tutorial (Fig 4c)
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1168

However I only want this shape to be shown on a very limited area within my DEM heightmap.

Could anybody possibly give me a run down how to do this? Maybe even post a screenshot of a simple node tree showing masking/blending and merging of a basic procedural with a heightmap loader?!?!

VERY MUCH APPRECIATED

thanks guys

I also just purchased v1.10.23 so I am going to try the paintshader now.  I am pretty certain there is another way I haven't of yet.

rcallicotte

You'll need to do some masking.  Ben (aka bigben) has done quite a bit with masking and a search for your topic, while looking for his name, might lead you to find out quite a few cool things to do.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

the painted shader is the simplest way of creating a mask.
Just look down at the DEM heightfield, look for the place you want the effect to appear. Paint this area white.
Then just plug the painted shader into a surface layer into th blend shader port. Add your function into the child layer port of the surface layer, and you should be done.

Cheers,
Frank

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rodpacker1

CHAMPION!!!!

I knew it was just ONE little tweak I did wrong ... haha

I tried sooo many different things BUT never even thought about the kids (childInput), which was the only thing I didn't try in my approach with the SurfaceShader.

Thanks so much!