Hobby VS Professional

Started by blueland, April 23, 2009, 11:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueland

The new Planetside homepage is OK...

But as a pre purchase buyer of TG2, i am very disappointed of the offer of XfrogPlants.

Sorry for my english, because i am a french canadian guy  ;)

I am an hobbyst not a professionnal.

I am sure that the success of TG2 come from hundred of users who share their experience since years.

Why not the staff at Planetside recognize that and offer some Xfrog free samples.

Otherwise, i am sure that a great number of users of TG2 will no follow the future of this fantastic software.

I am so sorry that my poor payday ( 300$ by week ;( )dont allow me to purchase the plants.

The plants cost 400$. Canadian dollars are 500$ :(

I am afraid that this software become a software for professionals and forgot in the future the hobbyst or amateur.

RArcher

I disagree somewhat on the part of Planetside.  I think they are still very much catering to the hobbyist market.  With the release, I think they could have increased the price by much more than just $100.  The issue is simply with the current distribution method by Xfrog (a separate company) the add-on plants are not in a hobbyist friendly package at the moment.

In reality nothing has changed from pre-release to final release for most hobby users.  There are quite a few quality plants available here and at terragen.org for free, as well as hopefully growing storefronts from users like Klas and Cypher.

Zylot

As mentioned in the other post you made regarding this... xfrog plants have nothing to do with planetside's software.  TG2 final price is only going up by $100, making it *extremely reasonable* for hobbyists, vs other software prices.

The xfrog plants and their prices are determined by xfrog.

Mohawk20

Also, in other threads here Planetside staff have mentioned additional FREE plants TO COME soon...
So be patient, Planetside won't disappoint.
Howgh!

Oshyan

Just to clarify, we will be releasing a few free plant models ourselves, but it is not a tremendous number. Hopefully we can increase it in the future, but for now I think it will be something like 4-5 models. Still it should be a nice little addition. :)

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Now this I believe and this is something worth getting excited about.

Thanks Oshyan for saying something and thanks Planetside for thinking about your community.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Zylot

otakar

After reading all these complaints about the XFrog package price, let me say this. If you are in need of affordable vegetation models for the hobbyist then support the forum members here who have offered up their own models (in most instances for free). Creating such models is a big effort and nobody is going to do that without feeling appreciated for their contributions and receiving encouragement for further development.

rcallicotte

If I remember right, you made some, otakar...right?  It's relatively easy for our work to be loss to obscurity among everything happening on these pages.  But, contributing something useful can never be a bad thing. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

otakar

Quote from: calico on April 24, 2009, 07:23:59 AM
If I remember right, you made some, otakar...right?  It's relatively easy for our work to be loss to obscurity among everything happening on these pages.  But, contributing something useful can never be a bad thing. 

No, I am just a consumer. But it seems to me some people don't appreciate all the work that goes into creating such models. And software such as XFrog is rather expensive for a hobbyist, so you got that hurdle as well. I want more models to be available for TG scenes just like anyone else, but I have no expectation of Planetside providing those for free. Planetside should focus on TG development and support, it's more than enough work :)

blueland

I understand that Planetside should focus one TG development and support (it' s more than enough work)! I understand all that. But after more than ten years of development, waits was big at the user's of TG as for instance the addition of vegetables and trees which were the party neglected by software package for a long time.
Even if I am not an unconditional supporter of Eon View, it gives vegetables in their software for a long time. Besides, it gives several versions of software according to the prices which people can pay.
What i mean is now in 2009, Terragen 2 without plants is outdated (partially of course!)
In forums 3D, it is the biggest reproach which they make in this marvellous software.
My fear is that TG2 becomes a software for professionals of the 3D and that Planetside considers the big community of Terragen (the most part of the hobbyst) as one second bum around.
According to me, it is obvious, that for the future of Planetside, this last must see again his policy with Xfrog because people are very quickly going to grow tired of a possible misunderstanding. I hope only that Xfrox does not use the launching of TG2 to make money.

TG2 arrives at adulthood. While it shows how much it is thankful towards the hundreds of members of the community which supports Planetside for many years.
At present, Planetside and Xfrog appear to me more as businessmen than of artisans 3D who want to provide quality tools, even in hobbysts. I hope that I make a mistake.

Seth

Quote from: blueland on April 25, 2009, 06:03:55 AM

What i mean is now in 2009, Terragen 2 without plants is outdated.

you can still use free plants ;)
no need to spend 1 000 000 $ to xfrog to use TG2 for creating good renders (IMHO)
well if you can go ahead ^^
but i really don't think that without the xfrog pack TG2 will be outdated...

blueland

Seth, I understand your point of view. Terragen 2 is a very good software of creations and rendering. I agree with you. However, it is more complete with plants. And if I must content myself with some free plants, I am restricted in my creation.
I wish better one collaboration between Planetside and Xfrog. Especially, I want Planetside to defend the point of view of the hundreds of hobbysts which encourages it in front of Xfrog. I am not sure of the happy marriage of this two businesses nowadays.

Seth

I know what you mean... but creation is always restricted by the amount of money you have on your bank account...
oh, and I am a hobbyist too, with a very low money spending capacity... so I totally understand your statement.
But for Planetside, the partnership with xfrog seems to be a very good move.

blueland

Salut Seth,

en parcourant le forum, je m'aperçois que tu es Français de Paris. Salut la France pour moi mon ami.

Je suis un cousin québécois francophone. J'habite Montréal.

Ça fait du bien de pouvoir discuter, ne serait-ce que le temps d'un "post" avec un utilisateur de Terragen francophone  :)

Ici au Québec, il y a énormément de mises à pied à cause de la crise mondiale monétaire.

Des milliers par semaine. Dans un tel contexte, la gratuité ou l'accès plus facile monétairement à un logiciel que l'on aime prend

un sens différent.

Bon week end cousin!