My Apology to xFrog

Started by rcallicotte, April 28, 2009, 07:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

After understanding your issues with Lightning and better understanding what really happened, I apologize for slamming you about what happened.  I publicly did that, so thus the public apology.

Maybe it would be helpful for the software community to work out apprenticeships so that young people with promise can have the opportunity to learn to hew their skills in your products without taking out loans they can't afford.  This isn't just about Greenworks only, but it's a general wish.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

RobbyS

Abolutely right! I have used Xfrog together with Cinema 4D... nice stuff indeed, but nevertheless a bunch of bucks for putting some plants into a scene. Vue with his eco-system goes a better way and a photoshop made matte painting works fine too and needs not so much euros.

rcallicotte

I'm especially interested in someday seeing true apprenticeships sponsored by the software companies and elimination of the need for 4 years of academic pursuits that only partially match what a person needs to be a wholesome helpful entity in the world.  Most graphics related universities only barely touch each subject related to 3D enough to be somewhat familiar and then the students need to find companies who will take them on to learn in a sweatshop environment. 

This idea would eliminate much of the unnecessary BS and provide opportunities for both newbys and veterans alike, as well as benefits for all of the companies involved. 

In other words - what if someone is very talented and we leave her / him at the roadside only because she / he can't get the money to buy a package of software?  Must this person enroll in a university just to half-ass learn a product that they can't afford to purchase?  No winners and lots of people in debt the way we do it now.

gregsandor

Quote from: calico on April 28, 2009, 11:49:45 AM
I'm especially interested in someday seeing true apprenticeships sponsored by the software companies and elimination of the need for 4 years of academic pursuits that only partially match what a person needs to be a wholesome helpful entity in the world.  Most graphics related universities only barely touch each subject related to 3D enough to be somewhat familiar and then the students need to find companies who will take them on to learn in a sweatshop environment. 

This idea would eliminate much of the unnecessary BS and provide opportunities for both newbys and veterans alike, as well as benefits for all of the companies involved. 

In other words - what if someone is very talented and we leave her / him at the roadside only because she / he can't get the money to buy a package of software?  Must this person enroll in a university just to half-ass learn a product that they can't afford to purchase?  No winners and lots of people in debt the way we do it now.

What you want is a trade school, not a university.  There are plenty out there right now.

PG

The trouble with those is that you tend to be taught one thing in depth and when you're in a job and someone asks you to do something slightly different you're screwed ;D I was hiring people at the beginning of last year and I met this girl who had studied some graphical programming thing. They taught here everything you'd care to know about the diversity of a scene and how light can be implemented with a variety of tools such as ray tracing, irradiance, she knew so much it was unbelievable. But she had no clue about the maths behind it. I started talking to her about the metropolis light transport variant of the Monte carlo method. She just stared at me. Students wanting to study an area of visual design are either forced down these narrow paths or, as is the case with British education, taught everything they should've learned in primary school like basic English and then, if there's time, an hour or two on the subject itself.

Anyhow, waay off topic, I understand this topic must've been hard to make Cali, admitting a mistake isn't easy by any standard.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Mandrake

Why would they want to train you.  ???

So you can sell better plants then they can? at a lower price? hehe

They are not a perfect business model so I don't know anything is possible.
Personally, I would never shop from a person that was competing for my job, but I guess when your the only one in town.

rcallicotte

Not interested in promoting another school (or trade school) as such.  The apprenticeship model is simply training for a person to move into a skilled position.  The company can pay, but in my opinion the software giants (and maybe some of the mid-powerhouses) could afford for their own sake to promote and organize something like this for the studios and advertising houses.  It isn't widespread, if it exists in any number at all.  But, think of the possibilities...

PG

I know SOME game developers, emphasis on some, scout the modding sites looking for talented people but it is extremely rare though.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures