A couple of newbie questions

Started by deepdish, June 03, 2009, 03:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deepdish

Hey guys, I've been trying to do some techniques I've seen done by others, with... well, horrible results.

First off, I'd like to know how to use the painted shader to distribute populations, because at the moment, I can only get uniform square fields.
This is what I tried (obviously I did something wrong)

1. Create a new distribution layer
2. Create a new painted shader
3. Select "Blend by shader" on the distribution layer and assign the painted shader
4. Paint with the painted shader in the 3D Preview window
5. Create a new population (I tried the xfrog fir trees)
6. Select "use density shader" and assign the distribution shader (should i have assigned the painted shader?)
7. I render the image, but the painted areas just show up as the usual white markings.

What am I doing wrong in this process? I'd really like to know, because ive seen people with images where their populations appear natural, like they've been painted on with the painted shader.

Also, can you assign the distribution shader as a density shader for populations? I tried this too, with no avail :(

ONE LAST QUESTION  ;D

How do people apply image textures to rock faces and make it 3D-looking, so to speak? I saw a picture (I think it was by Hannes) where the rock faces had a rock texture, but were also shaded, I'd like to know how to do this :)

Any bit of help on any of these issues is appreciated, please forgive the long-winded post, and the newbie-ish questions :D

rcallicotte

Treat the Painted Shader like a mask - use it on the Density Node.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dwilson

You can just assign the painted shader to the population density shader.  What you did should work though.  I did exacly what you said and it worked.  Did you paint within the square bounds of the population?  I have attached a tgd, i used the internal grass clumps for the population

I don't do much with image maps so I can't help you there unless you are just wanting to know how to hook up an image map in the node network.

Devin

deepdish

Quote from: dwilson on June 03, 2009, 04:05:14 PM
You can just assign the painted shader to the population density shader.  What you did should work though.  I did exacly what you said and it worked.  Did you paint within the square bounds of the population?  I have attached a tgd, i used the internal grass clumps for the population

I don't do much with image maps so I can't help you there unless you are just wanting to know how to hook up an image map in the node network.

Devin

Thanks for your help! I tried recreating what you did and it worked fine. Thank you!

Edit:

Okay, I got it to work again. thank you!

deepdish

How do you render ground cover like grass with AO (or whatever it's called) I'm seeing all these spectacular scenes where the grass is very detailed and has realistic shadows that LOOK like AO. Is it a setting somewhere?

dandelO

In the lighting group there is a node called 'enviro light'. The GI/AO strength and colour settings are in there.

deepdish

Quote from: dandelO on June 03, 2009, 06:00:09 PM
In the lighting group there is a node called 'enviro light'. The GI/AO strength and colour settings are in there.

Ah, I see! Thank you for the helpful replies!!  ;D

deepdish

Can anyone tell me how to make an image map be shaded, 3d looking, like a displacement?

my example for this technique is http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=5750.0

(please excuse me using your beuatiful image, hannes)

rcallicotte

The easy answer is - practice.  The harder answer is probably buried in here somewhere.  The basic method is to use an image shader as your displacement and color in a surface shader or do something like that with a fake stone.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Matt

Quote from: deepdish on June 04, 2009, 10:26:16 PM
Can anyone tell me how to make an image map be shaded, 3d looking, like a displacement?

The Image Map Shader has displacement options. It will use the greyscale value of your image.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.