One step into Gloucestershire - My Final Entry into the NWDA competition

Started by Hetzen, June 06, 2009, 07:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hetzen

Ok, this is where I'm at the moment, mid to distance. I think I have my composition mapped out, but thought I would throw this out there to see what people thought.

There's only one external model in this at the moment, and the only image maps are for that one model, a crappy wheat model from Vue. Everything else is native to Terragen.

I'm not too happy about my Altocumulus, it's straight out of the box, ie add mid level 3D volumetric. Will need to work on that a little.

Earth in the foreground has a long way to go yet.

buzzzzz1

XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

Hetzen

rcallicotte

Very nice.  A little higher quality clouds would be peachy.   :)
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

schmeerlap

Excellent realism in the mid ground with the coppiced hill and the hedgerows. It's looking good.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

cyphyr

EXCELLENT :) You say that you've only used one image map but surely the field colours and hedges are made up of another two image maps or do you have a secret technique going here? Looking forward to this one, no particular suggestions, I think your nailing it nicely :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

tumasch

Very nice indeed, couldn't tell what's wrong with the clouds. Is there a reason why you left the foreground without any plants? I mean it gives a good contrast but have you tried with a population?
Décider c'est mourir un peu.

FrankB

the middle 25% of the render are completely photorealistic to me!!
Agree that the clouds give it away. I don't want to appear too "sellie" here, but I think some of the presets of the sky starter pack would be ideal for this scene.

Greetings,
Frank

MacGyver

Believe it or not - when I'm looking out the window, I see exactly the same... amazing! The landscape in Gloucestershire seems to be very similar to where I live :)
Frank is right about the clouds, they could use some tweaking ;)
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Tangled-Universe

Great work so far already!
The mid-ground is very photorealistic.
What are you planning for the foreground?

Quote from: FrankB on June 07, 2009, 07:29:00 AM
the middle 25% of the render are completely photorealistic to me!!
Agree that the clouds give it away. I don't want to appear too "sellie" here, but I think some of the presets of the sky starter pack would be ideal for this scene.

Greetings,
Frank

Agree, the first cloudtype which came in my mind is the "windy clouds" from that pack.
Used that also in my latest canyon-image. Think it will fit this scene perfectly.

Hetzen

Cheers for the feedback all.

I agree, the clouds need some work, I'm trying to do all this on my own as a learning exercise, although eventually I will buy those tech packs.

Quote from: cyphyr on June 07, 2009, 05:57:19 AM
You say that you've only used one image map but surely the field colours and hedges are made up of another two image maps or do you have a secret technique going here?

It's all being done with blue nodes. Those fields and stone walls cover the whole planet and is being generated with voronoi noise. I've managed to make four seperate and conforming masks for the field types. The bushes along the field edges and the woods on the hill are actually rock populations. The only bitmap used so far is for the wheat model.

QuoteIs there a reason why you left the foreground without any plants? I mean it gives a good contrast but have you tried with a population?

The fore ground will be a broken dry stone wall, again made with functions. It's not quite ready yet. Then in front of that will be some detail on the earth with a load of grasses and nettles.

arisdemos

Once you get the foreground working and crop the top half of the sky you will have a winner with this. Like almost all of your work, and best wishes for the contest.

DaveC

Nice sense of scale.  It will be really interesting seeing how your foreground plans come along.

GioMez

With some more work in the immediate foreground it will be a real photorealistic work!
Someone might think it is a photo ;D
Maybe I'd decrease the coverage in the altocumulous, but it is a matter of taste.

domdib

The fields look great - maybe once the contest is over you could give us a quick tutorial?

The clouds look pretty good to me. I think once you nail the foreground and the wheat it will be superb.