Dusky

Started by dandelO, June 28, 2009, 12:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Something really simple. My current computer simply doesn't let me do anything too fancy, it's really bad. :(

So, a basic terrain, a few cloud layers, and a wacked-out atmosphere.

All clouds - no acceleration, level 1 detail *EDIT: The fiery cirrus are actually detail - 1.35.*
Atmosphere - 80 samples
Render detail level - 0.7
AA - 6 - Cubic B-spline
No GI

[attachimg=#]

It's actually just this attached scene for my fake stone forest Public Library file with a different atmosphere and slightly edited 'trees'...

EoinArmstrong

Wonderful, rich colours and tremendous sense of depth!

Kadri

I saw this from your comment , DandelO. Interesting not much comments here. I think especially the first image is very nice  :)

dandelO

My general scenes suck, Kadri, I'm used to low comments on them. :D
My TG skills are best put to use elsewhere than complete scene building! ;)

Cheers, man!

Kadri

Quote from: dandelO on September 25, 2010, 11:04:34 AM
My general scenes suck, Kadri, I'm used to low comments on them. :D
My TG skills are best put to use elsewhere than complete scene building! ;)
Cheers, man!

You are really a humble man , DandelO :)

Cheers!

inkydigit

i missed tis somehow?
love the clouds/atmo!

Volker Harun

No wonder that I missed it, as I am not that active that I would like to be .... very moody scenes!

choronr

Tranquility for sure ... a beer in hand and just pure pleasure to view - you've got to do more scenes.

dandelO

Back from the dead, this image, it seems. Maybe it's haunted. I quite like the clouds and atmosphere actually, I must see if I still have it.
Usually, the longer I spend building scenes, tweaking for hours/days, the crapper they get! Then I don't have a decent incremental save or .bak to rescue what was once good. This was a quickie opening up an old example file, probably why I quite like it then. :D
Cheers!

Kadri

Quote from: dandelO on September 25, 2010, 06:48:48 PM
Usually, the longer I spend building scenes, tweaking for hours/days, the crapper they get! Then I don't have a decent incremental save or .bak to rescue what was once good. This was a quickie opening up an old example file, probably why I quite like it then. :D
Cheers!

There are images i want to make badly but they resist stubbornly. Then i say make some random image today and it works.
Weird ! Art is no science , really. For now at least (yeah we use computers  ;)) !

Hetzen

I've used rock populations for fake trees before, but you've shown how creative you can be with fake stones yet again.

A working practise I use that you may find helpfull, is by saving a scene in increments like "TreePop01" "TreePop02" etc, except, when I experiment with a scene, I now save as "TreePop02x01" and expand on that until I make a breakthrough to then call it "TreePop03". So that I have obvious markers of when I'm happy with something. I also have a renders folder that I save images as the same file name on the initial increment. I admit I'm a lazy bastard when fooling around and tend to only use this on work projects, but it has proven useful when wanting to roll back a scene.

dandelO

Oh, I know all about the increments! The TG folder is about 5x as big as it should be for it! I have a great method of saving, just never anything aesthetically useful! ;)
Anyway, the best visual scenes I come up with, I think, are the ones with no planning, make no sense and get popped out in a session. And I probably get a single decent idea to refine out of things that way later.

Cheers!

Volker Harun

I do the same as Jon ... in some of my latest Uploads you'll find those filenames like MiniBot_2_3_01 or such.
In decent times I named my Files like Pov_3_Atm_6_Srf_11 ...
But one for sure ... after having finished an image it takes latest 24 hours until I dislike it ... and it might take another 360 days++ until I get a feeling for the scene again ,-)

choronr

I hear you guys; as of late, I've been pulling up my 'crappy' file and trying to make whatever better than it was using some of the ingenious files you have put up for our use - and, you know what? ...they usually work; and work well. So many of you are Planetside treasures which have added so much to our learning.