Vista upgrade...

Started by Dark Fire, February 15, 2007, 10:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Fire

This is the first time I have actually started a new topic on these forums! Anyway, I need advice on how I can go from a 32-bit version of XP the the 64-bit version of Vista Home Premium while spending as little money as possible. I have spent several days on Google trying to find the answer, but I can't find it anywhere (a lot of people are as confused as me ???) - all I could confirm is that I will definitely need to do a clean install. The choices available are full version (very expensive), upgrade version (reasonable price) and OEM version (nice and cheap).

Don't waste time trying to persuade me not to get the 64-bit version of Vista Home Premium. I am sure that I want it and it is compatible with my computer.

buzzzzz

Have you run the "Vista upgrade Advisor" ?  Is your system 64 bit now or 32?  I always go OEM versions.

Dark Fire

Quote from: buzzzzz on February 15, 2007, 10:34:07 AM
Have you run the "Vista upgrade Advisor" ?  Is your system 64 bit now or 32?  I always go OEM versions.
I have run the "Vista Upgrade Advisor" and it says nothing about 32-bit or 64-bit versions of the different editions - it just recommends an edition. I am running a 32-bit OS, but my CPU is 64-bit and I am therefore interested in getting the most out of it before the computer becomes obselete. I have never bought an OEM version of an OS before and I am a bit concerned about the pricing (like this price, but the product seems to be exactly what I want).

buzzzzz

Another question to ask yourself is: what software do you use that's 64 bit? I don't know the answers either just a lot of questions?   

buzzzzz

The Geostation

Here's what I did.   I bought the 64-bit version of XP, with a money-off voucher for Vista.   If Vista stabilises then I'll change over.   XP 64-bit may be more cost effective and provide what you need where it matters.

Andrew Randle
The Geostation
Andrew Randle
The Geostation

Dark Fire

Quote from: buzzzzz on February 15, 2007, 11:22:05 AM
Maybe this will help??    Upgrade a 32-bit computer into a 64-bit one

http://www.start64.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=254&Itemid=116
My computer is alrady physically 64-bit - the problem is that it is currently stuck running 32-bit software.

Quote from: The Geostation on February 15, 2007, 11:23:13 AM
Here's what I did.   I bought the 64-bit version of XP, with a money-off voucher for Vista.   If Vista stabilises then I'll change over.   XP 64-bit may be more cost effective and provide what you need where it matters.

Andrew Randle
The Geostation
That is a good idea, but I'm not the sort of guy who would upgrade to something that is obselete - upgrading my OS two times rather than one in the near future does not appeal to me...

Quote from: buzzzzz on February 15, 2007, 10:59:20 AM
Another question to ask yourself is: what software do you use that's 64 bit? I don't know the answers either just a lot of questions?  
I did warn you not to waste time trying to persuade me not to get a 64-bit OS. I do have some 64-bit software and I also need the ability to have EVEN MORE RAM than 32-bit OSs can cope with...

buzzzzz

Well you said you can get the OEM for cheap, so what's the question?

You said don't try and talk you out of going 64bit, so I won't.

Seems you answered your own question. Spend 70 bucks  ;)

Dark Fire

I did say I've never bought an OEM version of an OS before. I have two final questions:

1. Will the OEM version be the same as the full version but without the fancy packaging?
2. Does £70 seem like a reasonable price for an OEM version of Vista?

3DGuy

The OEM version is exactly the same. The only difference is the license. The OEM version can only be sold with a new computer. Officially you should not be able to buy it without a new comp. The OEM license also binds it to the computer it's sold with so you can't move it to another comp. The full price non OEM version can be transferred to any computer.

Dark Fire

What's the licence deal for the upgrade version then? Can that not be moved to a new computer either?

3DGuy

Not quite sure.... You'll have to read the license agreement ;)

MeltingIce

You'd be better off sticking with Windows XP for awhile.  Wait on Vista.  Not a whole lot of applications are really 64-bit yet.  Also, Vista 64-bit does not allow any unsigned drivers at all.  So if one of your computers drivers does not meet the requirements set forth by Microsoft, you're up a creek.  Vista 32-bit currently does not have this issue.

Read this:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060201-6098.html

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

3DGuy

Correct. Especially finding drivers is a bitch. There are no drivers for my good old Soundblaster :/ I managed to install the XP drivers on Vista 32bit, but for 64bit I'm out of luck. Same with my TV card I guess.

That doesn't mean you need 64bit applications perse. 32bit applications should run normally. I'm going to install Vista64 this weekend on my comp just to see how it faires (the advantages of having an MSDN subscription ;))

MeltingIce

Quote from: 3DGuy on February 15, 2007, 04:16:16 PM
That doesn't mean you need 64bit applications perse. 32bit applications should run normally. I'm going to install Vista64 this weekend on my comp just to see how it faires (the advantages of having an MSDN subscription ;))
Yea but there will be no benefits to running 32-bit applications in a 64-bit OS.  In fact, 32-bit programs have to be emulated in a sense if I'm not mistaken.  When I switched from Windows XP 64-bit back to 32-bit Windows XP, I actually got a frame rate increase in games because none of them were 64-bit games.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277