Tweaking Story "Waterfall" THE TUTORIAL 15 august 2009

Started by aymenk2003, July 30, 2009, 04:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aymenk2003

Yes I know I'm not a pro in Terragen ... but just a newbie...
Well here the fact : I was tweaking the shaders ; water shader, heightfield shader: add an other heightfield connect one to the other... terragen cracks and leaves...
let's reopen it and load the saved Untitled.tgd ...and what ???
I saw in the 3D preview something unbeleivable : the WATERFALL... don't touch...save the project make a render (Detail 0.1) Here's my Tweaking Story...
Le peu que je sais, c'est à mon ignorance que je le dois.

aymenk2003

Other tweaking I'm trying to get foaming...

aymenk2003

I'll be back in fifteen days and try to do better..

Henry Blewer

This is cool. I like 16 the best. The last one, the plant hides your work.
Now it is time for particle effects... ???
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Thelby

Thats a pretty nifty accident to happen across and has much potential!!!

Dune

Looks very good. I've been playing with the same problem of waterfalls and rapids, and we might have come up with the same solution. But what about the shore in your system? And if the water has enough transparancy you should see the edge of land underneath the fall.

kevnar

Try using very low and small scale clouds as mist.

aymenk2003

Quote from: Dune on July 31, 2009, 02:26:59 AM
Looks very good. I've been playing with the same problem of waterfalls and rapids, and we might have come up with the same solution. But what about the shore in your system? And if the water has enough transparency you should see the edge of land underneath the fall.
I didn't modify the transparency of the water and if you did Yoruba should see the land underneath the fall.

Dune

What is 'Yoruba'? It is hard to see the land under the water in these samples. I mean that the land under water should have the same displacement as the waterfall itself, otherwise it would be 'a wall of water'. I worked with a lake with the same underlying displacements as the world (before cutting a river), for my studies into a cascading river, smoothing the water plane in a compute terrain. But it's hard to get 'flat' water perpendicular to the streambed.
I imagine this is a lake with a mask-like blendshader, fed through a displaced surface shader? Will you tell us how you achieved this?

aymenk2003

Quote from: aymenk2003 on August 14, 2009, 11:16:13 AM
Quote from: Dune on July 31, 2009, 02:26:59 AM
Looks very good. I've been playing with the same problem of waterfalls and rapids, and we might have come up with the same solution. But what about the shore in your system? And if the water has enough transparency you should see the edge of land underneath the fall.
I didn't modify the transparency of the water and if you did Yoruba should see the land underneath the fall.
"Yoruba" ? means nothing I was tired yesterday & I don't remember what I want to write sorry...
btw I preparing a simple tutorial and put some tgd files to let others continue what I 've began ...

aymenk2003

Tutorial "Waterfall"
Part 01:
Open TG2 as Default scene ...Click on Terrain Tab then select the "Heightfield generate 01" change "Size in metres" to 1000x1000...select the "Heightfield shader 01" and in the displacement Tab change the "Height multiplier" to 0.8(the smaller this value the higher is the waterfall).from the button "add terrain" ->add a "power fractal". select the "Node Network" tab and select the "compute terrain" node then from menu Edit duplicate you will get "Compute Terrain_1" rename it to "Compute Water". Select the "Water" tab then add lake TWICE (lake01 & lake02). select "Lake 02"  and change the water level from 100 to 40 you can later tweak this value but not higher than the water level of "Lake 01". Next Step is tweaking the Node Network. you have "Before.jpg" change it to "After.jpg".
After a default render you 'll get this..."Part01.jpg" from "TUT_Waterfall_001.tgd"
... see you in Part 02...

bla bla 2

aymenk2003

Part 02:
Tweaking...
to get a good pov change the position of the "Heightfield shader 01"...
I've changed the size of the "Heightfield generate 01" to 4000x4000 question of taste...
Changed the "Height Multiplier" in the Displacement tab of the "Heightfield shader 01" to 0.2 ...
Changed the "water level" of "Lake 01" to 500...
changed the position of my camera and the heading of the sunlight to end with this render "Part02.jpg" from "TUT_Waterfall_002.tgd"...
... to be continued...

Henry Blewer

Thank you for sharing these. I wonder if the height fields could overlap, giving a curved edge to the fall?
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

aymenk2003

yes that 's possible I'll try to explain that in Part 04 of this tutorial...