3d modeling

Started by R3igN, August 14, 2009, 07:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R3igN

Hi

i converted my file into obj...by obj_export_1.1.rb at http://sketchuptips.blogspot.com/2007/01/wavefront-obj-exporter.html
Heres the Sketch up i made:

and it god damn dman damn looks like this in terragen:

And damn damn damn i am piss...

Help me--Promise no more dumb threads in the future ;)

Thnx!

Mandrake

R3igN

hi

Thnx for the quick rep..I downloaded poseray a few moments ago..it seems that it does not convert into obj files..

I was wondering whats wrong with my file up there?

Thnx!

domdib

Have you tried searching for Poseray in these forums? One of the many posts might help answer your question.

Hetzen

You can see missing sides in your original image, so it most definately is a problem with your geometry.

Henry Blewer

If you are looking for a good 3D package, I recommend Blender. It will output wavefront obj files, which can be loaded into Terragen 2 directly. PoseRay definitely helps. I have tried Google's Sketch Up, I think Blender will read these files.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Mandrake

Quote from: R3igN on August 14, 2009, 07:53:06 AM
hi

Thnx for the quick rep..I downloaded poseray a few moments ago..it seems that it does not convert into obj files..

I was wondering whats wrong with my file up there?

Thnx!
Look again, because it does. Been using it for years.

R3igN

Ok thnx for all the helpful comments ..i guess i will gonna stick with these one XD

Just gonna darkened the object...make it a ruin or something..

Got to pass this damn thing tom XD

Thnx!

Mandrake

From the manual:
OBJ Output Tab:
PoseRay can save a Wavefront OBJ file and its materials containing all the modifications done in PoseRay. Saving the scene as an OBJ file from PoseRay will save all the scene information such as lights and camera as well as materials. Reloading the OBJ file will restore the entire scene if desired.

Misc. options:
Save normals will save the normals into the OBJ file. Some programs require this information for properly displaying the model.
Save texture coordinates (UV) will save the texture coordinates into the OBJ file. These are needed if the model is texture mapped.
Fix material and groups names. For example a material called skin:2 will be renamed skin_2. This is useful if the importing program has problems with the original naming.
Export camera as a mesh. This will export the camera as a mesh in case you want to use it for realigning the camera of the importing program as it was in PoseRay.
Export options (after pressing save):
Export Name Prefix is the prefix for all the output files. For a prefix name PoseRay will create two files:
name.OBJ: contains the modified Wavefront model.
name.mtl: contains the materials used in the OBJ file. All the material properties will be saved including map names and POV-Ray textures. Specular will be saved as an exponent from 4 to 4096.
Overwrite files (except render) will overwrite all exported files
Include file paths to image maps should be enabled if the maps are located in a different directory than the one used for the POV-Ray files.
Copy all maps to the same directory will make copies of all maps used by the scene and place them in the same directory where the POV files will be saved. Note that when this option is enabled the paths to the images are not included in the output files.
Fix map names removes all non alphanumeric characters from the map filenames.
Fix map resolution to [ ]. This will resize the maps as they are copied. Largest dimension will have this resolution. All resized maps are converted to JPEG format.

N810

It looks like google sketchup makes their models aout of 2d planes instead of 3d solids,
this often causes the 2d planes to apear backwards then converting to another format,
then a planes is backwards it becomes transparent, so look for an import or export option
that deals with convering  normals to positive or non- negitive vauues or somthing like that.
Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

R3igN

Thnx!

Dman it...

Everything looks ugly... ~_~

All my work from sketch up to terragen looks so god damn ugly T_T

rcallicotte

Then keep practicing.  LOL

Quote from: R3igN on August 14, 2009, 02:27:29 PM

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

goldfarb

post the model in you can
we might be able to see what that issue is...
obj is a really simple format...

that said - I don't know why people use SketchUp, it's possibly the worst application you can use if you intend to actually use the models for anything other than conceptual design work...and to have the audacity to charge $495...unreal...
there are a ton of better, free applications, blender has been mentioned, Houdini Apprentice, lots of others...
--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

Mandrake

Quote from: R3igN on August 14, 2009, 02:27:29 PM
Thnx!

Dman it...

Everything looks ugly... ~_~

That's because your sketch up program sucks! But that wasn't the question...

Henry Blewer

Sketch up was not really design to do more than work with Google World, a gimmick. But for Google it works well. You can take the image maps from the building and put them into a 'real' 3D modeling program. They become backdrop images, Then You can build you objects. Sketch Up may be able to give your objects a floor plan which would make things even easier.

As far as your images 'sucking'. That's not really true. It's only lack of experience, and practice makes perfect. There is a lot to learn, you'll get there.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T