world thru "terragen colored glasses"

Started by folder, August 18, 2009, 12:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Real-life insects make fun studies.  Good, too. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

pfrancke

No question about it, what we know impacts very much what we see and how we see it.  I was shocked 30 years ago when I was learning programming and the instructor talked about inputs -> process -> output, and my brain flashed and said to myself "that is the way the world works".  Yet prior to that brain-flash, things seemed more random, rather than a collection of processes (broken though they may be) that interact.   The other day I was riding my motorcycle to work and I was approaching a curve on the road with dark shade and trees overhanging the spot.  It looked like a dark square lacking proper resolution and my brain screamed "bucket render error".   

Volker Harun

Matt

"Normal" people are missing out on so much. If they don't like it when you see this stuff, well, too bad. You shouldn't try to stick to the boundaries of their world...

Which is better:

YourWorld U TheirWorld

or

YourWorld /\ TheirWorld

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

folder

The man himself has spoken - thanks so much for the comments. In a strange way inspite of the fact that I am also an artist - i do look at things diferently and with a bit more interest. I ask why a lot more and try to find the answers. this program definitely keeps the mind muscle working

david

FrankB

We prefer the U , but be careful to focus on /\ in conversations with normal people, otherwise they start to look at you funny ;D

Like: "Whoaa have you seen this bucket error in that bush over there?"

PG

"Now during a solar eclipse, never look directly at the sun without first using your supersample prepass" :D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

dandelO

I always notice the antialiasing on the treelines along the sky!
I get my best TG ideas when I'm away from the computer. I could be anywhere, work, bus, toilet, bed, etc... and I've already got the thing built in my own internal node network! ;)

I work in a boarding school in the hills outside Perth in Scotland, I don't need to go far for inspiration. A land of pure green and nature. I do get some funny looks and comments from my colleagues when they say, 'What're ye daein snapping shots of clouds and water, mud and trees? Etc'. These people know, and care, nothing for real-life! :D :D

rcallicotte

I'm near jealous, I am. 

Quote from: dandelO on August 22, 2009, 10:09:36 AM
...in the hills outside Perth in Scotland, I don't need to go far for inspiration. A land of pure green and nature.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Henry Blewer

A friend of mine was playing Ultima III on a Commodore 64. Beautiful hills and plains. Maybe Volker could make an 8 bit look render using functions. His work with them has been quite amazing.
I get a lot of inspiration looking at the NWDA gallery. Not so much copying what they have done, but trying to figure out how.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

folder

I agree I go to nwda and droll over the pictures. I also want to figure out how to do some of the things they have accomplished. for me the next challenge is working with dirt. I know this has been done by Mr Archer, but part of the challenge of this program and why it holds my interest over the years. is the fact that is is just so deep. the permutations are endless. the only drawback is waiting for a test render to finish

david

Volker Harun

I just loved to play the Avatar ... but mostly Ultima VI.
How about a contest ... only using CGA colours ;)

folder

love the contest idea - how  about we define a scene as having only a certain amount of layers, with each layer restricted as to power fractal and child layers. ie back yard

surface ----dirt
                           child layer - dead grass
    grass layer ------live grass

etc

folder

Henry Blewer

Most of my stuff uses only simple layers. Rock, sand, grass, water, snow. I use power fractals for color, and often use the same power fractal for displacements. Could be fun to see how others do this.
SHould the tgd be required to be posted with the image?
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

folder

Well i guess if we wanted to see everyone's approach from a common startline, but really just the use of the concept should be enough

david