Started by PG, September 08, 2009, 08:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Blewer

http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

jo

Hi njeneb,

Quote from: njeneb on September 09, 2009, 09:40:47 AM
This is what I learned. It does not crash my system P4 HT, 2 gigs, Vista 32 bit. I tried both a single rock and a huge population. What I did find was the entire program window flashes. It's like the update for the faces  is causing a total redraw of the program interface. The effect is very rapid, so the crash PG is experiencing may be to a graphics card not having enough buffer memory.

That flashing is almost certainly due to the progress dialog popping up and then closing quickly as you change the settings.

Regards,

Jo

jo

Hi PG,

Quote from: PG on September 09, 2009, 09:12:41 AM
Like I say, it happens on new projects as well as old, so it's nothing particular to one tgd. I've saved one with a rock in without changing the faces though. And here's that video. It may well be something to do with that progress window. Maybe it crashes if you try to do something before it's finished with it, it seems to update every time the value changes so if you slide it down it'll update maybe 5 times before you get to the one you were looking for. Doesn't happen if you type it but the progress window takes Windows focus away from the textbox everytime you input a digit.

Thanks, I'm downloading the video now. The crash could be related to the rapid appearance and disappearances of the progress window. That behaviour needs to changed regardless. Popping up all the time like that is ridiculous and stealing the focus like it does is terrible.

Regards,

Jo

Matt

Quote from: njeneb on September 09, 2009, 08:05:44 AM
I still miss my Amiga 4000. That machine was out performing many PC's five and six years after I bought it. 8)

People will never know...

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

jo

Quote from: Matt on September 09, 2009, 08:50:26 PM
People will never know...

Get over it ;-). I enjoyed my C64, I learnt to program on it and I still think Winter Games is one of the best games ever, but I've moved on :-).

Regards,

Jo

Henry Blewer

Jo,
You have never programmed a computer where the company actually wanted you to be able to access everything in the OS and hardware. No secret, secret paranoid Microsoft stuff. But you are right, it is time to move on. :'(

Edit: Maybe you did? Anyway, I get nostalgic, I had years of fun with Amiga.

Matt

I'll move on when I see an OS with unfailingly smooth multitasking, window updating and response to my inputs, glitch-free audio and video playback. Still can't find that 20 years later.

Matt

Henry Blewer

Don't forget the CPU slot. 'My Amiga is too slow! :'(  Oh, there's a new CPU board. Purchase new board, comes with oodles of ram, all 32 bit, 64 bit processor! Overclock it. Start computer with new CPU and 2 hour Lightwave renders now take 30 minutes!

PC manufacturers need to be reminded of this feature. If I could upgrade my current machine this way it would be great.

Matt

Sorry njeneb, but I disagree with you here. Much as I love the Amiga for everything it did that PCs don't, upgradability is one of the PC's strengths. Purchasing a new motherboard, 64-bit processor, RAM, plug it into your box with existing hard drive and peripherals.. how is that an Amiga-only thing? Where did you get your PC?

EDIT: OK, maybe it was a bit easier with the Amiga :)  Just plug it in and go.

Henry Blewer

Can I just buy a new motherboard for my Dell E510? I have already upgraded nearly everything else. What fits? I do have a 750 watt Power Supply now. I have to go to work... Now you've got me thinking and I would be able to research this until morning. (Sigh)