Inside a Deep Forest

Started by Tangled-Universe, October 06, 2009, 01:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domdib

Astonishing work, Martin - I hope you'll be showing it off at the CGSociety!

mhall

WOW - that's really gorgeous. I love that.

Seriously impressive stuff.

I've love to take a walk there. :)

~Micheal

Kadri

Martin.i know here are many WOW' but i have too say the same.
One question...Are there more then one Sun objects?....the strata wall is a litle bright...just curious.İf this was mine i would very proud of it :)

Kadri.

Tangled-Universe

Thank you all so far :)
Glad you like it all, the pleasure was mine creating it  ;D

@ Dandel0: yes I exported pieces of terrain, grew ivy's on them and imported them back.

@ Kadri: There's one lightsource, a sun with strength @ 5. The reason why some parts look brighter is because they are more directly lit but especially because I have applied a bit specularity to it.

@ Darthvader: yes that's a bit of a problem with the type of strata and this pov. The strata are quite sharp and flat and when you look just "straight" on the edges you won't be able to see the distance between the layers of strata and thus objects appear to be floating, especially when directly lit.

@ njeneb: like Franck (Seth) I haven't been able to figure out which part you mean exactly. So if you could point me to it please then I might fix it since I'm maybe planning to polish this image here and there.

As soon as I have figured out a fool-proof approach to grow ivy's on procedural terrain I will make a tutorial for it. It will probably be a video tutorial. At the moment it is quite some tinkering and too much "if this then that, or..." etc. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,
Martin

buzzzzz1

Best thing to come out of TG2 thus far! Hats off to you!  :o
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

neuspadrin

woah, i literally double checked i was in the tg2 image sharing section not the open discussion with actual pictures.

only thing that seems to give it away is some of those clumps look odd.

FrankB

Told you this is a killer image! Hats off!

tee

I'd had a little play with the ivy generator before on a simple object result was a huge file to try an import back in to render and then I couldn't get correct images to show on ivy so kind of gave up on that.
This is a stunning example of how it can be done right, luck forward to any further detail.

jcinbama

unreal on a scale of 1-5 this is a 10, great job :o :o :o

Henry Blewer

I put a yellow rectangle around the area.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

mhaze

stunned silence. awsome work.

mick

Dune

It is absolutely stunning, Martin! The light and atmo are really superb. There's so much detail, your eyes wonder around all the time. There's one critique though, shared with Darthvader, about the seemingly floating grassclumps. Lower left. They kind of look like mushrooms growing on the verticals. I guess they positioned themselves at tiny horizontal ridges and thus protrude forward. Better (IMHO) paint(ed shader) them out and replace by some vertical grass or moss. Or tilt the population there by 90 degrees.

---Dune

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dune on October 07, 2009, 02:32:12 AM
It is absolutely stunning, Martin! The light and atmo are really superb. There's so much detail, your eyes wonder around all the time. There's one critique though, shared with Darthvader, about the seemingly floating grassclumps. Lower left. They kind of look like mushrooms growing on the verticals. I guess they positioned themselves at tiny horizontal ridges and thus protrude forward. Better (IMHO) paint(ed shader) them out and replace by some vertical grass or moss. Or tilt the population there by 90 degrees.

---Dune

You're right about those clumps, see my explanation above:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=7718.msg82341#msg82341

I have used a couple of painted shaders to get rid of them, but I have to report some problems with it to PS.
As soon as I have painted, saved the project, and then open the painted shader again then the painted areas shift or sometimes even disappear partially.
In some places I have rotated them 90 degrees. If you look carefully you should see them ;)

Falcon

Absolutely incredible render. I'm speechless. If my own renders were half this quality, I'd be proud.

reck

There's nothing more that I can add other than what other people have said. Put simply this image is stunning.

I'm sure it was a lot of work to create and it's certainly paid off big time.