End?

Started by TheBlackHole, November 08, 2009, 06:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBlackHole

This may be the end of my Terragen career.  :'( My main (TG) computer just crashed and I got a blue screen. Then it turned black with a little garbage on the screen, MS-DOS style.
I'm (or should I say, I WAS) running Windows XP Service Pack 2, and I have an nVidia GeForce card. It crashed right in the middle of a Terragen Classic animation render when I attached 2 flash drives to the computer.
CDFS_FILE_SYSTEM
STOP: 0x0000026 (0x0004, 0xA9A394A0, 0xA3A3919C, 0xABCDD56E)
cdfs.sys (?)
Then I restarted and it said "Error loading operating system."
Anyone have any idea why it would do that?
I can't get any more info because my computer has become a piece of utter, useless CRAP because of this crash. I will probably never post anything Terragen-related ever again. I'll still be here, though.  ;)
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Kadri

How good is your computer knowledge ,TheBlackHole ?

Did you try right at the beginning after the bios loading  and before windows loading presing F8 (you have to be quick  )  ?
Save mode or restoring to a old save point?

Kadri.

Seth

God Saves The Blue Screen !!!

Kadri

Quote from: Seth on November 08, 2009, 06:54:50 PM
God Saves The Blue Screen !!!

I didn't thought that someone would say anything like that about the Blue Screen...LOL  ;D

Kadri.

folder

its a common file system error. a simple google search will get you more info. but as Seth says "long Live the BOSD

old_blaggard

That's rough, dude. Hopefully it's fixable. If all else fails, maybe you can bring it down to your local computer repair shop and see what they can do.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Walli

something that I started to do in such cases a while back - get a Live Linux CD/DVD and see if the computer boots up into linux. As its live cd´s, you don´t need to install and your system remains unchanged.

If Linux loads fine, then the chances are good that you can bring back your machine - worst case would be reinstall of windows. But with help of the live cd you could at least backup all important data on an external drive.

If it does not boot up linux..,then my only choice would be a hardware shop (unless Google tells me the error message means a defective graphics card or something similar)

Henry Blewer

See if you can make a Windows recovery disk. Another thing you might try is to use the Windows System Disk for a recovery.

Try disabling the CD/DVD rom from the F12 key when you boot. The CD/DVD rom may be faulty. If it is, at least they are not too expensive. They are easy to install, so it is something you can do yourself. Just make sure you touch the case first. This will discharge any light static charge you may have.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

TheBlackHole

It didn't boot into Safe Mode, and right before it crashed, it thought one of the 2 flash drives I tried to plug in was a CD-ROM drive.We probably will have to reinstall Windows and I'll lose EVERYTHING!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( My Photoshop disks are now so scratched up, I'll never be able to install it again! I'll probably lose everything I've worked on for at least 2 YEARS!!!!
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Henry Blewer

Disconnect the power and the serial cable to your CD/DVD rom. Try booting. Let us know what happens.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Kadri

Quote from: TheBlackHole on November 09, 2009, 09:39:01 AM
It didn't boot into Safe Mode, and right before it crashed, it thought one of the 2 flash drives I tried to plug in was a CD-ROM drive.We probably will have to reinstall Windows and I'll lose EVERYTHING!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( My Photoshop disks are now so scratched up, I'll never be able to install it again! I'll probably lose everything I've worked on for at least 2 YEARS!!!!

Don't think negative. If everything fails maybe you can rescue your data on the HD by plugin into another PC.
There is a chance that your data is gone but don't be hurry. I had 4 such total HD failures in 20 years.
These kind of problems don't go everytime  so bad. Don't do format or such a thing.
If there are people who can help let them do what they can first.

Kadri.

TheBlackHole

My hard drive was all screwed up. I got my computer running, but there are some problems:
Display has same limitation as TG2 Free (can't go higher than 800x600 or it gets messed up)
My CRT screen now has the screen off-centered so I have to set it at its smallest and the right edge gets cut off. >:(
None of my stuff made it, had to reinstall Windows. :'(
However, there are some new bonus features:
Extra hard drive (for backup)
Now has DVD burner ;D
And some stuff is the same as before:
Same nVidia GeForce card
Same motherboard

I don't get as interested in my computer as I used to because of the small available screen space and low resolution. I also had to reinstall TG2 (haven't gotten around to TG Classic yet) and I now have Photoshop 7 (used to have Photoshop CS).

cyphyr

Rule #1 always keep your data (projects, customer files, resources (fonts, textures, clipfiles etc)) one a separate hard drive to your operating system, not a separate partition, a physically separate disk!. That way you will never loose all your valuable work when the OS goes tits up (which it will!)

Rule #2 Is there a rule #2?

Good luck with your new system :)

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

reck

Quote from: TheBlackHole on November 08, 2009, 06:29:14 PM
I will probably never post anything Terragen-related ever again. I'll still be here, though.  ;)

You mean until you fix this computer or buy a new one at some point in the future? Unless you plan on never having a computer again.

PG

The Black Hole, there's a program you can get called GetDataBack for NTFS. If you can get another Hard drive (they're pretty cheap these days) you can recover data from your current hard drive even after it's been formatted and another operating system installed on it.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures