Flooded Land

Started by Tangled-Universe, March 26, 2010, 05:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Martin, just feed the last shader of your fake stones network into a merge shader. The second input for this merge shader will be your grass distribution shader. Merge method is highest.
Then use this new merge shader as the distribution shader for the grass population. I think this will work. I hope.

Regards
Frank

Kadri

Very nice image , Martin  :)

I have nothing much to add here , but one question ; the far left side of the water edge , is there some kind of problem ?

Dune

That seems interesting, Frank. Never thought of it. I'll give it a go. And O_B's shader would indeed be interesting as well.

Tangled-Universe

Thanks guys :)

Quote from: FrankB on March 26, 2010, 04:50:33 PM
Martin, just feed the last shader of your fake stones network into a merge shader. The second input for this merge shader will be your grass distribution shader. Merge method is highest.
Then use this new merge shader as the distribution shader for the grass population. I think this will work. I hope.

Regards
Frank

Always one step ahead of me :) Very good suggestion! Thanks :)

Although I didn't use a density shader for the grasses, I just created a distribution shader without any restrictions and fed that into the merge shader. I connected a color adjust after that to control the coverage a bit more. Works good!
Also, using this, I can selectively exclude different stone sizes if I'd like to.
Very clever!

Quote from: Kadri on March 26, 2010, 04:55:44 PM
Very nice image , Martin  :)

I have nothing much to add here , but one question ; the far left side of the water edge , is there some kind of problem ?

Thanks :) I'm glad you noticed that, I missed it. Fixed it for the next version I will render this night.

Might take a bit longer since I ran into unknown bugs.

Cheers,
Martin

Dune

Does it really work good for you, Martin? Frank? I experimented a bit this morning, but wasn't very satisfied. Still had objects (little test sticks in this case) growing through rocks. I put a color adjust between the stone shader and merge input, a distribution shader+fractal into A, set it to highest, normal mix (I also tried others) @0.5, but still sticks out of rock. Played with gamma, black point and white point, which altered the distribution somewhat, but never completely away from the rocks. Perhaps it depends on the rock size as well, in case the stones 'erupt' from a certain (tiny) point. Then small stones would of course work better than large ones. I'll experiment a bit more...

---Dune

Tangled-Universe

I think I have been a bit too enthusiastic by the first results Ulco, apologies.

I did a couple of small crops and those accidentially looked fine, but in overall it doesn't seem to really work.
I can see that the object count decreases when using this technique, but there indeed still sticking grasses through.
I've tried the exact same things you did, to no avail yet.

If I find a solution I'll let you (guys) know.

Martin

reck

I would have thought 9 times out of 10 you don't want objects appearing through fake stones. Would it not be possible to fix this in Terragen so that the populater takes into account fake stones and doesn't place objects to that area, it could be a checkbox?

choronr

You've got me drooling with this one Martin! Absolute wow.