64-Bit version of Terragen?

Started by PabloMack, March 26, 2010, 05:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PabloMack

I saw somewhere on the net someone said that planetside is working on a 64-bit version of Terragen.  (Maybe TG2 is already that product. I don't know.) Seems this application could use the extra address space because of its ambitious goals.  Has anyone heard any official word from them about how soon we should expect a release? 

Kadri

There is no release date yet . But Planetside is working on it , PabloMack .

Oshyan

We are working on a 64 bit version of Terragen 2 for release this year.

- Oshyan

Kadri

There it is  ;D
In 9 months hmm...nice!

Thanks , Oshyan.

mhaze

Henry Blewer

Like a render, all good things in their time. 8)

I have a feature request. Could a crop render preset be made? A preset to allow the crop region to be changed. It would have several configurations. Clicking on a section would move the crop region to that grid location. The grids could be halves, quarters, etc; in the horizontal or vertical sections.

I would like to do my renders in smaller sections. This would free up my computer for when I have a chance to do other things. It will render at 800 x 600 in about 12 hours at very high settings.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

PabloMack

Quote from: Oshyan on March 26, 2010, 08:43:59 PM
We are working on a 64 bit version of Terragen 2 for release this year.- Oshyan

Terrific.  In January I built a new system based on:

1) Windows 7-64 (home premium)
2) AMD Phenom II X4 955
3) 8-16GB DDR3
4) GeForce 9800 GT
5) Lightwave 9.6/SpeedEDIT 2.0

I have some aging ATX systems sitting around collecting dust and
recently estimated what it would take to turn them into a render farm.  
Seems I can do it pretty cost effectively.  

I have the need for a SW package that can seemlessly generate scenes
from a planet view (megameters) down to close quarters (millimeters),
and it looks like TG2 does the best job.  I am reserving $1K for the
TG2/XFrog Megabundle if that offer is still available when the 64-bit
release becomes reality.  Keep up the good work!  

cyphyr

I'm pretty sure the deal "may or may not" be available when the 64bit version is released. However as an owner of the 32bit version I get an automatic upgrade to 64bit when its realeased. So my advice would be to buy the full package now, together with the xfrog bundle. That way when the 64 bit version comes out you'll be upgraded automatically and you'll also be much more proficient at Terragen and XFrog so you'll beable to take full advantage of all that extra memory right away. :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

PabloMack

Quote from: cyphyr on March 27, 2010, 04:19:04 PM
I'm pretty sure the deal "may or may not" be available when the 64bit version is released. However as an owner of the 32bit version I get an automatic upgrade to 64bit when its realeased. So my advice would be to buy the full package now, together with the xfrog bundle. That way when the 64 bit version comes out you'll be upgraded automatically and you'll also be much more proficient at Terragen and XFrog so you'll beable to take full advantage of all that extra memory right away. :)
Richard

Then I must beg the question:  Will the current version install and run properly on Windows 7-64 (Home Premium Edition).  I would hate to register the product for another computer running a 32-bit version of windows only to find out that the license does not permit the 64-bit upgrade to migrate to another system running 64-bit Windows 7. 

Oshyan

Yes, the current version installs and runs just fine on Windows 7. That's where I use it most of the time. :)

- Oshyan

PabloMack

Quote from: Oshyan on March 28, 2010, 12:50:50 AM
Yes, the current version installs and runs just fine on Windows 7. That's where I use it most of the time. :)

- Oshyan

Most Windows 7 variants come in two flavors:  32-bit and 64-bit.  Did you install and are you running it on the 64-bit binary?  If not, you will have to re-install Windows 7 in order to run 64-bit apps.  

Oshyan

Sorry, I should have specified, but it was in answer to the question, so yes: I am running on Windows 7 x64. Actually there are very few 32 bit apps that don't run under x64 though.

- Oshyan

ciscoswitch

When the 64-bit version is release, will users that have purchased TG2 be able to upgrade to the 64-bit version?  or will there be a cost associated with it?

Thanks,

Oshyan

The 64 bit version will be a free update for registered users.

- Oshyan

TheBlackHole

What about the Free Version? I just got a new Toshiba Satellite with Windows 7 64-bit, and I'm wondering if there will be a free 64-bit version, or if I have to register the 32-bit first?
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?