What about a new NWDA Contest?

Started by FrankB, April 10, 2010, 06:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankB

Quote from: TheBlackHole on April 11, 2010, 09:58:13 AM
OK, this may sound like a stupid question, but are the contest entries supposed to be posted here, or at Ashundar?

Not a stupid question, but final submissions will be made to an email address we'll announce later, and in progress work you can post where you wnat, but I suggest it should be posted around here.

domdib

It sounds like an intriguing, creative idea for a contest. I'm not sure if I'll have time to participate, but I'd be more than willing to cheer people on from the sidelines!

Henry Blewer

I learned quite a lot about Terragen 2 last year. Largely to input from other users. (Not to mention Frank pushing hard for he best quality image I could then produce! ;D)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Oshyan

1680 seems like a kind of arbitrary width IMO, since many larger monitors actually support the more standard 1920x1080 (so-called "1080P") resolution, which gives you a more standard 640 pixel width for 3 columns. Also your calculated image ratio for the 6 frames is different than any standard ratio (e.g. 16:9, etc.). So I'd suggest 640x360 times 3 columns, 2 rows = 1920x720. Woo!

I know, small details. ;D

- Oshyan

cyphyr

Excellent idea :)
Something I have been aiming towards for quite some time now is an animation combining several terrains types, hills, mountains, desert etc. One issue has always been that having multiple terrains adds a fair amount to the render time for each extra terrain type. Here's a challenge and a solution all rolled together, could be a great opportunity ! :)
There's a lot of talent here so I'm sure we'll be in for some treats:)
It'll also be interesting to see how people optimise their projects for animating.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

sjefen

ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

cyphyr

A couple of questions :)
Do you have an idea how long an animation should be? It shouldn't be too limiting, a given length plus or minus a a few seconds (45sec +/- 10sec for example).
Regarding using models and licensing (Oshyan mentioned this) how do render farms work this out. Many people have bought the XFrog bundle or use Onyx Tree amongst other packages, not just Terragen users, how do they use render farms? I assume there must be some kind of protocol or waiver in these cases.
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Seth

When you send your file to a rendefarm, you need to do a package with all your objects (textures and all).
I guess they don't need to own the objects to just "render" the file. It would be impossible for them to buy every licensed obects they have to render, their client already did.

Oshyan

Regarding length, I think 1 minute or less is probably a practical necessity.

For rights and render farms, it really depends on how restrictive the licensing is for the model(s) you're using. I know some render farms have actually made agreements with content producers for their whole library, e.g. "The Ranch" with Cornucopia content. It's unfortunate that it's so complicated.

- Oshyan

domdib

One thing that might help, either now or just before the contest gets going, is if NWDA could provide us with an example, as those of us who aren't animators at heart might get a better feel for how this sort of storyboarding works.

gregsandor

Quote from: domdib on April 12, 2010, 01:08:54 AM
One thing that might help, either now or just before the contest gets going, is if NWDA could provide us with an example, as those of us who aren't animators at heart might get a better feel for how this sort of storyboarding works.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=storyboard&fp=faae8a5043e32937

FrankB

Quote from: domdib on April 12, 2010, 01:08:54 AM

That's a good idea. I'll make a demo story board (simplistic though) so that everyone gets the idea.
I am thinking of an image that is made of the six distinct renders adjacent to each other, like

x y z
a b c

... so actually, a truly simple thing.

Rhalph

I love the idea (although I'm not going to participate because realism the thing where I'm the best :D)

FrankB

Quote from: Rhalph on April 13, 2010, 04:37:07 PM
I love the idea (although I'm not going to participate because realism the thing where I'm the best :D)

well, with realism we mean the end result should look as real as possible, but not necessary like a particular part of our world.
For example, if your scene contains a giant moon, that's fine. But if the entire image looks like a cartoon with false colors, then that's out of scope for the competition.
So you can make pretty much any scene, as long as you did your best to make it look as real as TG2 can make it.

Cheers,
Frank

Hannes

Fantastic idea! This is going to be very inspirational for us all like the last contest.