What about a new NWDA Contest?

Started by FrankB, April 10, 2010, 06:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Certainly a fantastic idea :)

Regarding the realism thing. I wouldn't even be worried too much about that, because the hardest part of the contest is not the realism itself but the condition that it must hold up at different camera heights and angles.

This is a really challenging contest! :D

FrankB

ok, decided. We'll do the contest.

Watch out for the official announcement and contest rules in the next couple days, coming from TU.

Cheers,
Frank

Seth

sjefen

We need lots of time for this one ;)

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: sjefen on April 15, 2010, 09:23:30 AM
We need lots of time for this one ;)

- Terje

Why?

You have to create six relatively small images of one scene you've created. The difficulty lies in having the scene "work" at different angles and positions.
You won't need to render the animation, not even to animate it. :)

Martin

sjefen

But we still need to work hard on it if we are aiming at realism.
The rendering I'm not worried about.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

leafspring

If I find the time I'll definitely participate. It's been a while since my last scene so it is probably a nice way to warm up again.  ;D
Lang lang er vejen for Aslaug
Længe venter lykken på Kraka

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: sjefen on April 15, 2010, 03:29:36 PM
But we still need to work hard on it if we are aiming at realism.
The rendering I'm not worried about.

- Terje

Ok, glad you're not confused about what to render and what not :)

Yes, it will be hard work to get it finished in about 2 months.
Last years' contest also ran for that period and many people managed to get very nice results so I expect no problems with that.
Anyhow, it will be hard work, but for nice prizes :)
Also, you can start already of course, since there isn't an official announcement yet, you can gain time by starting right now ;)

Cheers,
Martin

otakar

I like this idea, though I suspect one will be severely limited in the possible number of objects/populations depending on available memory. May be best to go for a 'barren world' type of image series in that case... Just thinking out loud.

FrankB

I think it can be expected that at least the machine that renders the animation for the winner will be able to take advantage of full 4 GB. As each shot in the storyboard is not wider than 640px, the renders will not be so tough on memory as if your render was 1680 or 1920 wide.
So bottom line, I think you will be able to cram a whole lot of objects into the scene. But you are right in that this is not really easy this time, depending on your animation path: if your camera floats a long way close to the ground, you may not be able to cover it all with grasses, for example, so you need to get creative, and make intelligent choices with your scene and storyboard. And going for a more barren landscape is one option, for sure.

Seth

Population limit ? do space animation, close up around a single object, fly through clouds... a lot of solutions are available. creativity, guys, creativity !