Grainy Clouds again....

Started by PeterParker, September 08, 2016, 08:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

By the way was "defer Atmo" on? Looks like we need it for the new clouds as Yossam said above.

Kadri

I just made a test with Voxels.
Render time was a little faster with 50 million Voxels then with "0.05" millions.
Weird. I supposed it would be opposite.

PeterParker

Quote from: Kadri on September 08, 2016, 11:58:36 AM

By the way was "defer Atmo" on? Looks like we need it for the new clouds as Yossam said above.

Yes it was on and off, both the same results.
Trying out V 2 Clouds and they are much faster to render with absolutly no grain in there. :-)
Whats so new in V3? You get always flat and unsatisfied results.
Thought this will us all blow away, but.....nothing....

PeterParker

[attachimg=1]

Looks much better with a render time like 4 Minutes instead of poor Cloud using V3 and 18 Minutes ;-)

Kadri

Depends on what you wanted.
The image below is all settings at default with only a new seed and lower sun position.
You can't find this so easy and good looking in any other program.

PeterParker

Looks indeed nice ;-)
Which preset you have used?

Kadri

Wish i remember Peter. It was from the first beta. Not even sure that i have saved it.
I searched a little but because of my HD crash and the ongoing short animation ı have only the animation files on my HD for now.
But it was really only what i said. Reseeded 5-10 times and lowered the sun.
That is the great side of those clouds.

Kadri

By the way you said you tried with "defer atmo" on and off and there was no difference.
Not sure but that could mean that you could use lower settings with "Defer atmo" enabled and still get noise free atmo in the image.
And faster render times (still the easy clouds aren't so fast as the old ones).

Just curious if you want you could share the file here for a closer look?

PeterParker

I´ll making a test render like you did with V3 Clouds

Here is something i made with Terragen 3:

I like heavy deep looking clouds. This is why i was so disappointed about Cloud V3.
Not that good but it was good enough for me :-)

[attachimg=1]

PeterParker

It´s a pitty but i dont get the realism in the pictures like Ulco did or the other astonishing pictures made with Terragen 3 and 4.

PeterParker

And this is  basic cloud model version 3:

12 Minutes for rendering:
Defer Atmo on 16 Samples in Atmosphere Cloud Quality=1

[attach=1]

But if i crank this clouds up like in the "Cloud Burst" Picture above, you dont get any result!
And the grainy poor clouds are back again

Kadri

It is in the details.
More work on ground and object texture (procedural or image) for example.
If someone doesn't mess with the lighting and atmo too much that realism comes for free in Terragen.

Your image for example would benefit especially from two parts.
The tree texture is too low quality. And the left side could use a little more variation-detail for example.

Kadri

I think we will see more work from Matt on those clouds. It is apparent from the Change Log.

PeterParker

Yes the Textures in the tree are to low but i dont know where to get those high def. Modells.
Hehe....it never came along for me that automatism like in :

[attach=1]

This is really nice but i´m miles away from those pictures