Incomplete rendering of simple scene

Started by Milla, June 24, 2010, 03:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milla

The attached  pic was rendered in 1920x1440, which took some 8 hours. The pic has been compressed, but the problem is quite obvious even in low res.
Any suggestions what I did wrong? I have attached the .tgd if somebody wishes to see it.

/Milla

Henry Blewer

What version of Terragen 2 are you using?
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Henry Blewer

Free version? Anyway, try moving the camera just a tiny bit. Or do a clip render of that location and patch the hole in a paint program.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Milla

Good suggestions, thank you. I will try.
You more experienced users, would you say it is this a common phenomena when rendering high-resolution pics, that some areas is left out?

Oshyan

"Simple" is relative. A simple scene can be quite demanding of computer resources of the render settings are high. So what were your render settings and what are the details of your computer (especially operating system and memory)?

- Oshyan

Milla

1920x1440

AA-8
detail - 0.86
you should be able to see this in the .tgd file which I attached, or am I wrong?

(I am aware that these are high settings and that this means is a lot of work for the computer even if the building-blocks for the scene are few)

Vista , Duo CPU 3.00Ghz, 4Gb memory.

Oshyan

Sorry, didn't see the attached TGD. I see you also have rather high GI settings of 4/4, which in this scene probably aren't necessary. So it's quite possibly a memory issue. Did you get any errors or warnings? Are you running a 32 or 64 bit version of Vista?

- Oshyan

Milla

32-bit
Yes, I had one "Unknown error" while rendering. I will reduce the settings to conserve memory and try again
Thank you!

Oshyan

Yeah, not surprising on a 32 bit OS - you only have access to 2GB of memory per application (no matter how much physical memory you have). Fortunately settings that high are not particularly necessary, especially for the simplicity of your scene. AA 4-6 should suffice, detail 0.75, and GI 2/3 or so would give great quality and use less memory.

- Oshyan