Ice Age

Started by Dune, November 01, 2010, 03:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

The iterations with some water are more interesting I think. Many good ideas here.

Dune

Thanks for the clip, Ryan, I'll certainly plug it in today. Never saw your earlier work, I wasn't there back then, but it looks good. And, Martin, thanks for your suggestion; I did put some fake stones in as spikes, as well as stretched ridges, but I might enhance that (and put some voronoi in).
I agree with the too white color and too much reflection. I looked at quite some photo's, and some glaciers are really bluish, other quite white, some also have dirt and gravel in them in stark lines.

I got some sort of moraine now, by merging the mask with itself through a color adjust shader, and also tried to get some 'TU-snow' in there. Problem was that due to the displacement intersection, there was a sharp edge on the glacier, so I restricted the effect with a distance shader. I'll take it out again, maybe.

I was wondering which height the distribution shader reads, the one after compute terrain, or the last one in line?

Tangled-Universe

Ghehe, well there's now some debate about what compute node is being used.
Generally the last compute terrain node before the distribution shader is being used.
(For example, the smoothing function in a surfacelayer uses the smoothed terrain generated by the last compute terrain before that node)
I still think that would make sense, but like I said things are getting a bit muddy now since Goms found out there might be problems with this.

Dune

QuoteGenerally the last compute terrain node before the distribution shader is being used.
So if I have a surface shader with some displacements after the last compute terrain, it will not be considered by a distri shader? I don't attach anything to the distri input, by the way, it's 'hanging loose at the blend end'.

Tangled-Universe

Perhaps you could show a part of your network to show what you mean? I think I don't understand?

Dune

I will, shortly.

Here's another version. I tried Ryan's tgc, but changed that as well. Also added some blue nodes for voronoi displacement and coloring, blended by a 3D perlin, etc. It's getting more and more complicated as time goes on.... 

inkydigit

the last one is especially beautiful...love the surface and shape work on the ice!

Naoo

Hi

Klasse! And very much better now.
The ground is excellent, only the ice needs some cracks and/or sharp edges.

ciao
Naoo

otakar

Looks like a piece of marmor now, a bit. Will need some translucency.

Zairyn Arsyn

it now has a nice sculpted look to it, slippery.
some translucency would be good too,
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Dune

Another tgd, with the same mask and different displacements, as a start...

schmeerlap

I really like the "versie-8" version. Very convincing crusted snow overlaying icy rock. Excellent work.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Henry Blewer

This last render seems to be right on. The ice looks like it has been 'conveying' debris. The ridges at the front of the ice sheet look very good; at least very much how they appear along the south side of Lake Ontario. Awesome!
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

The last tgd, but a little enhanced with a moraine slightly whitened by powdered snow from the glacier. I'm still not satisfied with the layers in the ice, and some grass patches through snow in the front, but that can be solved. This one took longer; 3 hours (0.7 @6), probably due to the reflective shader in the mud. The jpg has quality 70%, by the way. Had to.

freelancah

You're doing a great job. The latest one is very good but I must admit I like the shapes in the 8 best. Keep on posting, I love to follow development threads like this!