My Procedural Road, *Final* pg. 8

Started by FrankB, March 08, 2011, 06:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

I would even go out and busk again to get the bux for a setup like that Frank.  ..   ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Tangled-Universe

choronr

I must be dreaming; yesterday, my ISP went down from late morning and then for the entire day. Then, I woke up this morning and turned on the PC to find this great message - YES Frank you've turned my day around.

As Henry said, your file has endless possibilities, just as TG2 itself. Adding vegetation is great; but, adding roads delivers the human element. It was once said that if mankind were to go extinct and then Earth were explored by some alien civilization, they would say that our race was one of great 'road builders'.

I can hardly wait for your final package Frank ...thank you.    

FrankB

A little correction from what I wrote earlier... see attached little render, it's possible to have the road go uphill and downhill a bit, and have it inherit a bit of the underlying roughness.

bobbystahr

Quote from: FrankB on January 18, 2012, 12:25:37 PM
A little correction from what I wrote earlier... see attached little render, it's possible to have the road go uphill and downhill a bit, and have it inherit a bit of the underlying roughness.

Nice....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

FrankB

just give me a few days to finish this off....

Dune

Curious to see what setup you use. I have an inkling it is quite similar to the warped surf/waves/breakers setup I use, with a ..... (Sorry, I'll shut up).

FrankB

just an update: I'm still working on this techinique. To be precise I am struggling to simplify this rather complicated network so that it becomes usable by other people than me.

The trouble is that it doesn't work out of the box in every situation and terrain, without having to fine-tune 4 or 5 parameters through try and error, and I am seeking to simplify that as best as I can, and document how to best use it. I'm convinced that this pack will be great to play with and give very interesting results, but it's not just plug an play, if you know what I mean....

Frank

Tangled-Universe

Could you send it to me Frank?
If the technique contains blue nodes I'm perhaps a good candidate to test it, since I know virtually nothing about them :P

FrankB

Hi Martin, yes you can have play with it. I'll upload it to the NWDA Underground. However, the blue nodes are not a problem at all in this case. The road itself is easy to use, it works just out of the box.... It's the seamless integration of the road with any random terrain that makes it a little bit complex.

Tangled-Universe

FrankB

FrankB

here is a 2400px wide teaser render, albeit just a bare landscape with some surface colors.

https://img.skitch.com/20120123-p195n9tf51hue6e11p2t5hh5xg.jpg

Cheers,
Frank

choronr

This is more fun watching than a pole dancer ...can't wait for this one Frank!