Tire tracks

Started by Dune, March 27, 2011, 12:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Tire tracks, the 'railroad way'. C&C welcome.

Tangled-Universe

Veeery nice Ulco, this is really cool!

The tracks look terrific, very convincing.
I suppose the profile is also procedural?

The shallow flat water is a very nice touch and exactly the same thing I would do when I would have something as nice as this in my hands :)

Great work!

Cheers,
Martin

chris_x422

Really good!

Would love to see this animated.

Chris

Dune

Thanks, guys. Here's another one. And no, the tracks are not procedural, but a repeated mask. It could well be possible to find some math to get this profile (inside a simple shape), but I'd rather use a small mask, which is much easier than all those blue nodes. It would probably need a bunch of semi-overlapping simple shapes to contain the different patterns anyway, too much work.
I'm not pleased yet with the wet sand edge, the wet tracks, the sand itself and such, but as usual, this grew from testing my mask.

Oshyan

Looks very good. I remember trying to do a scene with water-filled tire tracks many years ago with a very early alpha, before the Technology Previews were released. This is much better than anything I managed. ;)

- Oshyan

Dune

The Technology does all the work  ;) Some muddy water-filled tracks in a plowed field would also be nice, indeed.

Dune

A better version. I added a RT reflective shader to the car, set at refraction 1.5, which is quite nice, IMO. And it might seem that the tracks are much wider than the car 'gauge', but they exactly fit!

masonspappy

Excellent! This could easily be mistaken for a photograph

Dune

I've made another (tractor) tire mask. Now for some decent landscape....

freelancah

Wow. That looks extremely good!

Henry Blewer

These are really looking very good Ulco.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

But this one is better, and the next one will even be better, rendering now.

inkydigit

awesome work, the first thing that comes to my mind is the famous Escher woodcut http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puddle_(M._C._Escher)

Dune

Nice one, I was indeed thinking of making footsteps as well. It all works the same.

Dune

QuoteI really have nothing bad to say about them
That's a pity; I was hoping for something really bad  ;)

I made some new dirt, and quickly grew some maize stumps, although they are not too good yet.