Waves, once more

Started by Dune, April 15, 2011, 03:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

It took 5 hours, but the soft shadows were partly to blame. I even tried to restrict the real water to the front with a distance shader and have the rest covered by a reflective (RT) shader for time's sake, but I couldn't get it to work properly (yet). Trying to work it out took more time than rendering the water  :P
@ Kadri: No railway method here, but something completely different.

ajcgi

Having done a lot of ocean work recently, but outside of Terragen, I've one question... can you make this move?  ;D
I'd be really interested in finding out if it's possible. A convincing animated shoreline at this sort of angle normally involves some cheating with compositing and the like, but to get the wave movement right would be brilliant given tg2's lighting and so on.

Zairyn Arsyn

wow!, dune your renders are groundbreaking stuff, and that last render looks really great  :)

WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on April 18, 2011, 02:49:12 AM
@ Kadri: No railway method here, but something completely different.

OK! Thanks , Ulco  :)

dandelO

Well. Might as well throw in my towel then, Ulco's got it covered! :D
Last one looks really cool, man.
I like how lots of us end up down the same roads in here every now and again, whether it's snow, roads, waves, colour variation, whatever, it's cool to see all the different ways of skinning the same cat that each different person uses.

Dune

Hi Martin, I just added my opinion to your thread (telling you you're all wrong  :D :D :D ). I'm still following the method I also have at NWDA, with a get altitude, sinus, displacement, then subtract this from the basic terrain, and you have your basic waves. But then a bit more complicated. There's one rendering now, which is a little better than the last one.... coming up.

Dune

Another try... now for some landscape.

max_thehitman

WOW! that looks great! Most excellent scenes!
Reminds me of some places I was in Africa by the sea.

Dune

It's still very hard to get right, but at least I have some other shapes here... broke it off, because it was taking too long.

max_thehitman

Now that was looking super. Really nice. So sad you closed the render just when it was
just about to finish. I will suggest to render it again once more. Its really good scene.
Congrats!
The bird on the seashore is also a great idea too.

Henry Blewer

I think waves maybe the hardest phenomena to re-create. You are close, don't get discouraged.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Dune

QuoteYou are close, don't get discouraged.
Not as close as Jon is right now, and I am getting a little frustrated, as it is so hard to get right. But I've got another idea...

Dune

Here's the other idea. Still needs work and there are two minor artifacts in the sea, but alas.

Henry Blewer

You're coming along. The curlers near the shore look good. I think more need to be added; this is probably part of what you are working on...
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Hetzen

Nice work Ulco, I completely sympathise with this subject being frustrating to crack. I think there's a way for you not to have to use a twist and shere node to get the curlers, which I'll need to check out at some stage. But from curler to break is quite quick, so I think we don't have to get too tied down with that part of the wave shape.

I've kind of ditched the water shader too, as it's quite render costly, and the look I'm after has quite a lot of foam on the shore edge. I've used something similar to your quick water shader set up you posted the other day.