Rendering problem

Started by ccb, August 20, 2011, 01:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccb

Maybe the problem is I don't work in the nodes.  I really dislike that interface.  I have been redoing the picture over and over and am still not there but getting closer. http://www.cbrundage.net/havens.jpg  It takes so long to render and you really can't see what needs to be fixed until you get the whole thing full size.

Dune

Well, that's very much better already. What you also do if you don't want the sun to glare so much, is copy that sun (activate in the node section by clicking on it once, then press ctrl+D). Enter a much lower setting for the strength, and in the original sun uncheck glow in atmosphere.

ccb

Thanks, I'll try that!  What I am aiming for is a sort of glow in the atmosphere but not with that strong light from the sun.  But I want more haze and that makes the light too strong sometimes.  It takes about 10 hours to render so I let it do it overnight as I can't use the computer when it is rendering and I do a lot of work on the computer.  I'd love to have a separate computer for TG!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Christina

Dune

Maybe if you lower the haze in the atmosphere to 'normal' values like 1-3 and add a very thin low level cloud layer to get that haze, it'll render faster?

ccb

Does the haze take a lot longer?

I tried your sun suggestion (would never have thought of that) and it looks much better!  You are very helpful.

ccb

Wonderful - it is getting almost where I want it.  I lowered the haze and added a thin cirrus cloud at sea level.  Thanks!!!

Dune

Good. Here you have something I made up, might be of use.

ccb

Thanks so much - haze seems to be hard to get just the way you like it.  I've tried before to get a nice pretty clear line of mist but it doesn't seem to work.  I will see if your file does it with a cloud.

ccb

I just looked at the misty lake - gorgeous!!  What kind of clouds did you use for them?

Dune

A low level altocumulus 3D. But in fact they are all interchangeable; you can manually change all settings, like cloud height, depth, sharpness, etc. And work in the density shader (scales and fractal details). You can do whatever you want...

ccb

Thanks - I thought they each had different characteristics even with the same controls.