how to....create a path on a surface layer?

Started by Aenea, April 12, 2007, 04:18:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aenea

Hi folks!

Hope someone can help me with this...

The question is...: I have a surface layer with an image shader (something like rocky ground or soil, or grass), now I want a path going through it (by using a texture of stones, gravel or so)...but how does that work?

First I thought by restricting a new surface layer to specific heights (using the alteration) could work, but when I have an almost plain surface this of course doesn´t work.....

I think maybe adding the surface layer with grass/soil etc, then adding a mask? But I have no clue at the moment how this should work....
I can imagine that when I´m able to add a mask or so, I can fill the part which shows the path with a second image map shader that is my path (like gravel or stones).

I hope this doesn´t sound too confusing....can anyone help me with a quick description how to achieve that, please???

Aenea

Will

hmm well you could make a hite paths on a tart backround and use that as a kind of alpha that would restrict your stone texture to the area. you would need an image file shader with opacency as transparity and have that maybe leading into the texture node...I don't really know I would have to lay it out myself but I did somthing simular a while back using such a technqiue to give a planets continets with displacement and color but also making the water reflective.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

RealUser

Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

Oshyan

It should be fairly simple to paint a black and white mask image in an image editor such as Photoshop and then use this as a Blend Shader, Fractal Breakup or Density Shader for an Image Map Shader, Surface Layer, or Fake Stones node (respectively).

- Oshyan

Aenea

So far so good....but how do I make it appear in the right position?

The path doesn´t appear anywhere???? I want it at the left side, on the green.....any ideas what I made wrong?

edit: I tried it with position, but nothing happened...btw....you can see the picture clearly if you zoom.....

Aenea

child@play

have you tried projection through camera yet?
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

Aenea

child@play

hm, try to make the black path white then, when you think of clouds, black is where nothing appears :)
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

Aenea

problem is....when I make the path white....the grass/rock surface appears in it.....

child@play

which image map is the path-mask? make sure it's the second one, and, you have to set up your nodes different i think, take a fake stone layer for example, make it child of the surface layer and the image mask has to be the fake stones blending shader. just a wild guess since i'm rendering atm

edit: have a look here, think bigben has been doing the same thing  http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1285.0

Aenea

okay....I attached the tgd without textures and the lighthouse isn´t in it, deleted the obj, so there would be no probs with any objects....

I hope someone can figure out what´s wrong there....I really don´t have a clue...  ???

Aenea

Aenea

Well....I got my mask working now.

I added the image mask as second image map shader to my surface layer.
So the mask appeared correctly now....but the grass/rock layer doesn´t appear on the white of the mask...hmmmm
jesuuusss....this has to work I know it..... :P

Aenea

bigben

Have a look at http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=864.msg8415#msg8415. The sample file there may help. I haven't downloaded your file 'cos I'm just passing by.  ;)

child@play

you forgot to put the terrain file in the archive, so i just created a heightfield. is this the look you're after?

Oshyan

Aenea, you're 99% of the way there. All you need to do now is turn off "Fit Blend Shader To This" in your texture Image Map Shader (the one that loads b14galenslater035.jpg) and then in the Image Map Shader that uses the path.jpg simply specify a position and size (on the Projection, location tab). The size should be the size that you want the path/masked area to be *in meters*. The position should of course correspond to where you want it to show up in your scene. Use the 3d preview mouseover coordinate info to help in positioning your mask image.

Post again if you have further problems.

- Oshyan