Blender

Started by Harvey Birdman, April 14, 2007, 09:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on April 15, 2007, 03:33:59 AM

I think what should be understood here is that there is no universally accepted way of designing interfaces, yes there are standards but they are not enforced and as with every thing else in software the old adage is true "You can't please all of  the people all of the time" .

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel  

Hi, CA -

Most of what you said was pretty reasonble, but I have to take issue with this - 'there are standards but they are not enforced'. Apparently you've never gone through the trouble of having Microsoft, for instance, certify an app as 'designed for windows'. UI standards are a major part of the spec, and are rigorously enforced.

Real-User - Errr, I believe Krusty's signature tag line is 'Hey hey'. I don't think you need the third 'hey'.

;D

Will

Birdman are you currently enrolled in a school by chance becuase since you seem to dislike blender so much you could apply for an education edition of anouther program my version of XSI was $195 for one year its like $295 for unlimited and getting a Realflow education edition is $95 so you could set up pretty quickly for naouther program if blender is not for you ( or you could buy a 30gig video IPod for around the same price).

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Harvey Birdman

Hi, Will -

I'm not, but my wife is a part-time student and can get the student versions of 3dStudio and, I believe, Maya. I'm considering doing the student license thing to check these out.

Will

I would recommend it, its a pretty good gig as long as you don't plan on selling your images. PLender does not seem to be your thing so this might be a good alternitive.

Regards,

Will

Harvey Birdman

Why the qualification about not selling the images?

Will

thats the idea of an education version you use it to learn the program and then hopefully shell out the twelve grand once your all done. It may or may not be the thing for you depending on what you want to do with your work but I think that is the biggest draw of Blender is that fact that its free and you can do what ever you like. But if you are (like me) just an enthusiest at the moment it might be a good way tog go.

Regards,

Will

RealUser

@Harvey: The third Hey is an echo!  ;D But you are right ... changed it ...
Markus / RealUser
visit my Renderosity Gallery at
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RealUser

Cyber-Angel

Ah the Amiga days, I remember that that is when I saw my first use of Raytracting and Lens Flairs courtesy of Babylon-5 and then latter Sea-Quest DSV. From my understanding of software form the period on the Amiga that Video Toaster was much harder to use form an interface stand point then lightwave.

From what I recall when Power-Animator (Now Maya) first came out I remember reading in one of the computer magazines of the day most likely Amiga Format (Future Publishing) or maybe even Computer Shopper a comparison on easy of use of different 3d graphics software and I believe that it was said that Lightwave was by far essayer to use then Power-Animator.

I am into Computer-Human interaction and usability and my take on software boils down to:

1.   Easy to use for even the most novice user

2. Professional feature set (Give Professionals the tools they need to do their job but in away that is conversant with and supportive of (1.).

3. Software for Life: The same software you have on your home system is the same software you kids use at school, when they leave school the same software (They adapt to new releases of the software as it comes out they grow in skills as the software grows) the software is there for them at college, at university and is waiting for them in the work place.

4. Universal Software Interface Standard (USSIS): This standard would give a common ground within in the software industry with standardised naming conventions, UI layout etc. With this standard any one no matter what industry or sector they work in would be able to set at a new workstation in any other business and be able to use the software there as is conversant with (3.).

This would allow greater transfer of skills from one organisation to another but since every one is talking the same language and is on the same page it lessens the down time needed for re-skilling your work force but will save time and money in project management when to companies maybe form different areas of expertise need to come together where one or both need to assign on a Non-Permanent biases (Life of the project) project workers form one to go into the other if you have a universal standard then you can have these people maximise their productivity and not waist time search for  some thing in software they would be unfamiliar with other wise.

Just some ideas I am developing.

You right what you said Harvey I forgot about Microsoft I stand corrected. End Of Line.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel    

Will

Oh and just too add what about Hash: Animation Master? That might be excatly what you need, cheap, effective, and with a pretty easy UI I think you would like it.

Regards,

Will

Cyber-Angel

Will,

The Last time I heard about Hash Animation Master and maybe they have fixed it since then, is that small black squares appear in the finale render some times; but that was some years ago now so its probably been fixed by now.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

Will

I had it about two or three years ago, it was my first 3D package, it worked out well for the price. don't know about the black squares though I never saw any.

Regards,

Will

Cyber-Angel

I have never used Animation Master my self but when I was reading a review some years ago in Computer Arts Magazine of it they said that they had them.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

Will

hmm weird, I know it gets 9/10 by 3Dworld now though but you could be right I haven't used it in a while.

Regards,

Will

Harvey Birdman

Hey, thanks. I'll check that one out. I hadn't heard of it before.

I'm not exactly an enthusiast, but not exactly massively profitable, either. I have managed to get some academic grant funding for one of my projects in the past, and I'm working with a group of faculty at U. Wyo. on my current project. I'm hopeful that I'm going to be able to come up with grant money for it later this year, maybe early next year. If I can swing that then cost won't be an issue - nothing like spending Other People's Money, know what I mean?

;D

Will

yea, but there is always the possablity of having an intern lear blender for you and have then do all the work right  ;)

Regards,

Will