Rapids

Started by Dune, October 30, 2011, 03:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Dune

mhaze

Getting very close now, more bubbly foam perhaps and some thing bothers me about the lichen on the rocks, needs a slight texture maybe.

jacquesd

wow its incredible, could you share us a node view to learn how you did this?, very convincing water, congrats !!
Qui ne connait la valeur des mots ne saurait connaitre celle des hommes

jo

Hi Dune,

Looking good :-). I'm a trout fisherman and have spent a lot of time fishing small mountain rivers like that. I would suggest stretching the foam out a bit downstream. At the moment it feels like it's not really giving enough sense of movement downstream, and a stretch like that looks like it would be quite fast moving.

Regards,

Jo

Henry Blewer

I like Jo's advise. The foam seems to be occurring at the proper locations. This will be a fantastic final render when you get it all sorted out. (Looks very close now!)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Zairyn Arsyn

this is really starting to look really good now
i kayak in my spare time and enjoy kayaking rapids like these you have rendered.

just needs a boat/canoe/kayak going down the rapids and getting stuck on the rocks ;)
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

inkydigit

Quote from: zaai-three-nine on November 01, 2011, 08:46:24 AM
this is really starting to look really good now
i kayak in my spare time and enjoy kayaking rapids like these you have rendered.

just needs a boat/canoe/kayak going down the rapids and getting stuck on the rocks ;)
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=13420.msg132356#msg132356 :D
this is progressing nicely...

bobbystahr

Looking very fine but I personally prefer the rock texture from the image at the very start of this thread myself....can't wait to see the final .  ..   ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

You really want this kayak, Inky? I've got one, but it's without a pilot. If someone has a hand, I'll stick it out of the rapids somewhere behind the kayak.

inkydigit

Quote from: Dune on November 01, 2011, 12:20:49 PM
You really want this kayak, Inky? I've got one, but it's without a pilot. If someone has a hand, I'll stick it out of the rapids somewhere behind the kayak.

lol...funny...it's your call Ulco, it looks great as it is progressing now...with or without the kayak/scubadiver!!!

ghotir

I really like this.  I agree with Jo, the foam needs to be stretched out a bit more.  It took me a bit to figure out which way the water was flowing.  Even with the visual queue of the big mountain, I thought the stream was going the other way.  But after I looked a bit more I figured it out.  In real life I don't think it would ever be hard to see which way a stream was flowing.

I like the plover/killdeer on the rock, but I don't think I've ever seen one by itself before, maybe add a few more.

Henry Blewer

If this was animated, the stream direction would be very obvious. Ulco has beaten many of the hurdles I had, and failed at.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

TheBadger

Really out standing Dune! Im staring to get a little jealous when visiting this web site, but then again its clear you all work real hard so good for you. One criticism though, the shore line of the river does not appear to be wet, this is hurting the image imo.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Thanks, guys. It takes days to get it right to be honest. Here's a version with (1.5x) stretched foam. Part of it anyway, as the little 'breakers' foam is assigned to the breakers themselves and they are stretched in the width of the stream. The foam around the rocks is assigned to the distribution of the rocks, and shifted half a meter downstream.
The guy is huge, which is off. The stream is 6m wide, by the way. The canoe is 3.5 meters, maybe a bit small. But this is about the water anyway. I've added more rocks on the riversides, but I think to make them smaller, or several sizes. Or some huge ones, I don't know. This one took 2.5 hours @detail 0.5 and AA 4. It needs higher settings, but not at this stage.