Rapids

Started by Dune, October 30, 2011, 03:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Brilliant!!! glacier melt water tends to be more opaque, whilst creek water is more brown and spate water opaque and brown. This looks more like it should be glacier melt runoff and so less transparent.

Walli

very nice results so far!

inkydigit

agree with Wallli...excellent!

Dune

Next iteration, but still not satisfied with the extra rocks on the shores...

mhaze

bobbystahr

I like the one with the dude and canoe but would have just added the reflection to those rocks in the water...brilliant, or have i already said that  .  ..   ...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Jonathan

This is fantastic...any chance those water shaders will appear on NWDA?? J
Every problem is an opportunity, but there are so many opportunities it is a problem!

Dune

I was just thinking about doing a set of rivers for NWDA, so you guessed my thoughts, Jonathan. I got another idea yesterday and made this version with a downhill stream. The only problem I now encounter is that I can't assign a wet river's edge by height (distribution shader). I would need a method where I can take the water's height, add 10 cm and use that as a mask for the terrain. Picking my brain like mad, but it may even be impossible. Maybe the blue node heroes know, or maybe I'll come up with a solution after all. This is masked the same way as the river, just a little wider and without the water area itself.
The 'older' version is on the shelf for now, here's the latest.

mhaze

Best yet! I've been trying to set stones at a lake edge without using height distribution but have failed. would be very useful if some one can solve this.

Dune

For a lake edge the distri shader would be the best option, I'd say. Together with a PF for some scattering maybe.

Zairyn Arsyn

i'd probably buy that :)
Quote from: Dune on November 04, 2011, 02:58:38 AM
I was just thinking about doing a set of rivers for NWDA
i think i like downhill stream more than the rest i think

awesome work dune!
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Henry Blewer

The downhill stream is the best yet. I found the large fake stones farther from the stream bed looked odd in the other renders. These seem to fit into the scene better.
This is what I tried before. I found that I could not 'get' the altitude for the water without blue nodes. I don't know how to combine them, or use them much. Simple stuff I can do. Determining the water height based on slope and elevation is beyond me.

This is really coming together. Keep working. Remember, you pioneered using the simple shape shader for so many things. I think you'll be able to work this out also.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

dandelO

Quote from: Dune on November 04, 2011, 02:58:38 AM
The only problem I now encounter is that I can't assign a wet river's edge by height (distribution shader). I would need a method where I can take the water's height, add 10 cm and use that as a mask for the terrain.

Could you use the exact same blender for the reflective layer as you have to determine the river's cut but, in the reflective layer(which I imagine would be using a reflective shader as a child), make it slightly wider with a transform and then visit the displacement tab of the layer to add an offset of 0.1, without any other displacement functions? That should just lift the entire mask up by 10cm, shouldn't it, regardless of any other displacements that come before, i.e. the slope of the river.

dandelO

I think even just widening the cut mask without adding any offset would work, actually. It will appear whether it is high or low up a slope and only to the extent of the transformed width.

EDIT; I see now that this is just what you have done, sorry. See the previous post, though, about adding an offset to the already sloped river mask.

Dune

Yes, but thanks. It's not hard to make a 'vertically projected' mask from some SSS. I started out using the color adjusted 'river cut out' SSS, then the shiners also came from the river bottom, which wasn't nice, so I merged the center out. Then decided it would be easier to use a doubled 'border SSS' to cover just the edges. But then stones in the center of the river aren't shiny at all, and all stones at the edge are, even if they stick out of the water a lot. Best would be a mask that adds ten cm to the water height  :'( :'(   I'll have another look at it, maybe the offset would work, but I doubt it.