Ivy Generator + Terragen2 information dump

Started by TheBadger, November 23, 2011, 12:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hello,

This thread is for the collection and distribution of information regarding the use of Ivy Generator with TG2. If you know anything at all about how to use Ivy Gen with TG2, tips, tricks or you have a link to a tutorial please post it here.

free software for the production of ivy plant objects, and abstract .obj(s) - Mac, PC, linux
http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator/

If you have already made a comment on this subject in another thread (and if you have a few seconds) please post a link to that thread here. Or better yet, copy and paste the information into a new statement and post it here.

The intention here is to make an easily searchable hub on the subject.

Thank you

M.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

I am currently working on a project that I intend to use IvyGen in. As I progress I will post what I learn here. Likely I will also be posting a lot of questions too... I hope to be able to produce a simple tutorial to post here in the end, based off the information collected. The Idea of making a tutorial on this subject has been mentioned by others before.Perhaps there will be enough info here to compile into a comprehensive instruction manual.

It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

I see what you want to do here, to centralise the info, but isn't the forum a searchable hub anyway?

Anyway, here are some links:

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=13500.0 which refers to http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=7718.0
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4231.msg47427#msg47427
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4420.0

These links contain some hints on possible problems.

Best would be to get started, I think, and post your problems here for us to shoot.

Cheers,
Martin

TheBadger

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on November 23, 2011, 12:49:02 PM
I see what you want to do here, to centralise the info, but isn't the forum a searchable hub anyway?

lol, Yes, of course you are right. But as Im sure you have found, searching using key words that include common words, even just community centric words, can bring back many listings of useless information (pertaining to the search). I wanted to try, to try, to organize my threads a little better, Hence a very un-imagintive title. I realize a hundred threads titled 'transparency node', for example, could be just as much a problem but I'll complain about that when it happens ;)

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on November 23, 2011, 12:49:02 PM
Best would be to get started, I think, and post your problems here for us to shoot.
Cheers,
Martin

True that ;D I hope to have myself bothering everyone I can with questions tonight, after a nice long nap that is. Thanks for helping Martin!

It has been eaten.

AndyWelder

I don't know what you want to achieve with this thread so I just type about my experiences with IvyGenerator in combination with TG.
For a couple of years now I do use IvyGenerator but it wasn't until recently that I did discover the ivy objects had flaws when rendered in TG: The leaves did look like "little photographs dangling from the branches." (As described in the last post TU mentioned) I roughly followed the method TU did describe to get rid of the "photographs"; with success, because now the leaves are showing properly.
The obj's rendered in IvyGenerator I do use directly in TG and I assign the textures manually; I don't process them in PoseRay because most of the time the assigned settings like images/ specularity/transparency/bump don't stick.

Working with IvyGenerator for me is a matter of trial and error, still; I'm a slow learner.
What I do is start with the default settings and see how that develops. If I don't like the results I move the sliders I think (judging from the description in the balloon help) that need to be moved; sometimes the results are what I had in mind, sometimes not and then I move some sliders some more.
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

dandelO

Always check the 'birth' button. This gives you the chance to see exactly how your plant will look in the OpenGL renderer, and so the opportunity to fine tune your plant. A lot of people missed the function of that button so, just chipping in with that as a good bit of advice before exporting.
I've used the IG many times, from covering objects, to making actual full trees, as shown on the example images on the site, great piece of free kit!

TheBadger

Hello,
Sorry for the delay in my efforts here, a holiday and two birthdays snuck up on me, pesky things.

@AndyWelder, what you wrote is just what I was after. Whatever you know on the subject has a place here. Thanks for sharing.

@dandelO, Thank you.

@Tangled-Universe
In the first link you posted is a description of the process by which you brought ivy into a scene. At the end of the tut you said "it should be easy now". Why now? Also, can you clarify the sphere thing? That is, it read as though you put your terrain in a sphere, to bring into IvyGen? I think I'm misunderstanding you.
In the scene Im working on, the terrain is made up of walls of the same hight and width, but not length. Perhaps I should go at this in two ways, 1-just as you have, and 2- I should find a way to measure my walls and make a simple object in a free 3D program to bring into IvyGen in order to make Ivy objects that will fit my shapes.
It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

I said it will be easier now, because we have an improved micro-exporter which retains the coordinates from TG2 in the model + a wireframe preview which allows much easier tweaking of positioning your model.

About the improved exporter: as you may know TG2's coordinate system is the most accurate near the 0,0,0 coordinates. So if you export something from TG2 then try to have your region of interest at or nearby the 0,0,0 coordinates.
For this you can use a transform shader as final shader before the planet and move the whole scene to the correct position, then export, do your ivy thing, re-import, match position of ivy with terrain and correct for the transform shaders input.
For example, if you had to move your terrain + 1000m on X-axis to get your region of interest @ 0,0,0 then after matching your ivy with you terrain you remove/disconnect the transform shader to your planet and set the ivy's position to -1000m.

I only used a small sphere WITHIN the scene as a reference point in ivy generator, because all of the above possibilities weren't available then.
In ivy generator I let the ivy start growing onto that tiny sphere from where it grew on my terrain.
By doing that I knew that the starting root of my ivy needed to be at the same position as my sphere.
So I only used it as a reference and did not put my entire scene in a sphere ;)

TheBadger

Hi T-U

Ok, so you have given me some very key information here. I went through all the related threads, from above and also looked through the threads relating to the "micro exporter". I was able to get a large chunk of my terrain into IvyGen, though I skipped the step relating to the transform shader. I just wanted to make sure I understood how to export first.

So it seems that IvyGen is not at all a difficult thing to understand-just a lot of sliders. The real work is in exporting a terrain, and importing the Ivy to the place you want it to appear.
Here are the steps

1)Transform shader (as you have instructed above^^)

2)Micro exporter (as you instructed here: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=fdcc073f924ae32981fa0b1f088ebecd&topic=12743.0
and here: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=fdcc073f924ae32981fa0b1f088ebecd&topic=12743.0 )

3) Open the .obj from Terragen in IvyGen and grow

4) import new Ivy object as you instruct above ^^

5) Repeat as needed.

Yes? If so it will be an easy tutorial to make (I just think its good to have one out there) The important aspects will obviously be using "Transform Shader" and "Micro exporter" nodes. IvyGen already has a tutorial on using IvyGen that can be downloaded from the main page of their site.

So my only question now (3:00am ::)) is where the hell is the transform shader at ??? I know I have seen it before, I just cant find it now.

Something may be wrong with me :-\

It has been eaten.

Tangled-Universe

Ghehe, epic ;D I know that tired feeling and you're nearly there but can't get to something easy anymore :P
By heart I think you can access a transform shader by right clicking in the node network and choose "create shader -> other shader -> transform shader".

Make sure you do NOT use the left input port to translate your entire setup, but the right input port saying "shader".

Good luck!

Cheers,
Martin

TheBadger

LOL, This is funny, its right where I left it, and I still would not have found it if you hadn't told me. I'm going to bed now. ;)
It has been eaten.

jo

Hi guys,

The easiest way to find a node you know the name of is to go the View menu > Node Palette > Library. This will open a Node Palette showing all nodes. Now you can either scroll down the list to find the one you're after, or just start typing its name. Create the node by hitting the Return/Enter key, double click it in the list or drag and drop it from the list onto a network view.

Regards,

Jo

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: jo on November 30, 2011, 04:39:42 AM
Hi guys,

The easiest way to find a node you know the name of is to go the View menu > Node Palette > Library. This will open a Node Palette showing all nodes. Now you can either scroll down the list to find the one you're after, or just start typing its name. Create the node by hitting the Return/Enter key, double click it in the list or drag and drop it from the list onto a network view.

Regards,

Jo

You're absolutely right Jo.

However, without the possibility of docking/fixing the node palette somewhere in the UI (and have it there by default) I think I'll never get accustomed to using it.

Matt

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on November 30, 2011, 05:03:04 AM
However, without the possibility of docking/fixing the node palette somewhere in the UI (and have it there by default) I think I'll never get accustomed to using it.

In 2.4, you just hit the N key to bring up with the Quick Node Palette and start typing :) Also I think the normal Node Palettes remember if they were open when you close Terragen and automatically reopen next time you start Terragen.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Tangled-Universe

Thanks Matt, I need to try that (using more keyboard shortcuts in general as well).

Cheers,
Martin