Sand?

Started by zionner, June 16, 2007, 04:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zionner

Hey All

Is there any Methods you can use to get a sand effect, So you could have a bit of sand, say next to a lake?

Thanks
Zionner

nvseal

If you mean to have the grainy sand texture you can use fake rocks with very  very small scale. It also sometimes helps to increase the stone tallness. The attached image, for example, used fake stones to get the sandy, grainy look.

zionner

Yes!, Thats it, Thanks :D

zionner

Could you give me the settings, as i dont seem to be getting it right

nvseal

Here is the clip file. You will probably have to alter some settings to make it work with you camera angle and resolution.

zionner

Thanks again for your Help!
Zionner

zionner

Ok, Theres one thing i dont Get..I've used your settings in a test render.. (just a plain with these fake rocks)..but they come out nothing like your ones.....They have all been configured exactly like your ones, but still aint working correctly??

nvseal

In what way do they not work (i.e. displacement)? To get the rocks to look right you will need GI surface detail turned on and render quality of probably 0.9 to 1. You may have already done this. Also you might need to move the camera closer to or farther away from the ground so the scale looks correct -- either that or decrease/increase the stone scale to fit your scene's specific needs.

Oshyan

If it requires GI Surface Detail you're going to be looking at some veeery long render times.

It's actually fairly easy to create a sand-like texture just using very small displacement in a surface layer. Create a new Surface Layer, go to the Node Network view and plug your Fractal Breakup into the Displacement Function input of your surface layer (so it is connected to both this and the Breakup Shader input). Now get down close to the surface - you should already see fairly small scale and rough displacement going on.

The default scale is set to 1 meter for the Fractal Breakup shader, so you'll want to bring that down for "sand". Try setting Feature Scale to 0.1, Lead-in scale to 10, and smallest scale to 0.01. You will also want to reduce displacement height so turn down the Displacement Multiplier in the Displacement tab of your Surface Layer to 0.1 or 0.05. With those settings you will get a fairly decent rough-looking small-scale surface, but you'll probably need to experiment more to get a better "sandy" look. I would disable the warping in the noise shader, for example, and I might reduce variation and clumping as well.

My final settings for scale and displacement were:

Displacement Multiplier: 0.025
Feature Scale: 0.02
Lead-in Scale: 10
Smallest Scale: 0.005 (reducing smallest scale much more will trigger an error in the renderer where the surface renders black)

This produced pretty good sand-like texturing from an average human standing height above the terrain (2m), however it won't be very distinct from greater distances. It's realistic, since you can't really see the roughness of sand from far away anyway, but if you want to force the rough look of sand grains from a greater distance you can just adjust the scales and displacement.

There's a clip file attached.

- Oshyan

zionner

Thanks for The Info Oshyan, I Started Rendering the Sand though your way nvseal but it was taking too long, Im just trying out your settings now Oshyan and i'll come back soon with the result

Thanks both of you for the info
Zionner

zionner

This was a quick Default Setting render to test your settings...Any way you think i can improve on it?

rcallicotte

zionner - a different color would be nice...browner.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

zionner

I'll change it in a while, im just rendering one where that colour should fit in well...Its Next to a large lake...Should be nice (Quite Low Detail though)

nvseal

I think it needs a higher render quality for us to really see the grain.

Oshyan

Increase the displacement multiplier to give a stronger visibility to the "sand". It will be exaggerated, but it should be closer to the look you want.

- Oshyan