Bold political leadership!

Started by Harvey Birdman, June 22, 2007, 09:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Birdman

Yes, it seems the urgency of climate change is finally beginning to penetrate the halls of power in Washington. In a bold, courageous move, Congress is passing legislation forcing auto makers to improve the fuel efficiency of their cars!

By 2020.

What courage! What leadership! (What leadership?)

::) :P

rcallicotte

This reminds me of the bogus talk that never did anything in the 70s.  Is it really that difficult for people to foretell the future of oil dependency?  I'm pretty sure a group of 5th graders would have more sense than these greedy senators.

Why did Rome fall again?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

Hmm well at least Fallout 3 will be released by then so we can all practice our wasteland survival skills. *whistles Always look on the bright side of life*

regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Harvey Birdman

Until just a few months ago, the head of the Senate subcommittee (a senator from Kansas, iirc) playing the largest role in shaping climate policy still openly denied the existence of global warming. Never mind debating causes, this guy still says there's no such thing. (One of those left-wing media conspiracies, doncha know.)

Will

I wasn't joking about the fallout thing... Grab your pipboy 3000 open the vault and face to new world!

rcallicotte

Have you seen "Blast from the Past"?   :P

Volker Harun

Well, and in old Europe people are getting aware that global warming is rather a calm wind against the rage of global dimming and another iceage ;D
They were even forced to stop some TV global warming "propaganda" on behalf of public intersection.

Either, both have the same cause. So keep your fuels down.

rcallicotte

What is public intersection?

Quote from: Volker Harun on July 06, 2007, 08:08:37 PM
Well, and in old Europe people are getting aware that global warming is rather a calm wind against the rage of global dimming and another iceage ;D
They were even forced to stop some TV global warming "propaganda" on behalf of public intersection.

Either, both have the same cause. So keep your fuels down.

Volker Harun

rcallicotte

That sounds like it is the right word.  What is it that you are hearing there about public intervention?  This sounds good.  Is it like what Al Gore promotes, which is using better bulbs, changing air filters, etc.?

Quote from: Volker Harun on July 07, 2007, 12:39:36 PM
intervention?  ??? ::)

Volker Harun

Well,
the following does not represent my personal believes. At the moment I am quite convinced by the points that Al Gore has.

But a bunch of people - most of all those who are or were investigating 9/11 and got discriminated by their believes are on the way to pull the global warming discussion to the benefits of lobbyists.
I am not quite in this and have no opinion about that. First I might have to get a copy of the fundament which seems to be a british documention called "The global warming swindle"
Maybe interesting at least to open the 'field of view' ,-)

rcallicotte

This is all so very funny, I think, though I understand why anyone would want to look into what's true.  In the 60s and 70s, there was no discussion about pollution.  It was just plain wrong and companies who didn't do anything about pollution were seen as a$$holes.  I believe the same is true of them today (their still a$$holes), but the pull and declension is now toward the working "Joe and Mary" to get us to believe that what we do doesn't matter.

We're destroying our Earth and we're about to annihilate it with fighting over petty crap like oil when there's a whole universe full of wonder where we could focus our attention.  Strange how we don't think that real space travel is even possible.  Isn't it?

The wealthy are afraid they won't have "theirs" when everything starts falling apart and that's why we're seeing so many foolish political decisions - greed.

I don't mind discussing any of this, but I can't be convinced otherwise.

Will

Well I think two or three generations from now they will look back on us with both pity and amazement on or ignorance to the big things that were happening around us. Frankly no matter what we to to the planet life will exist in some form or another but we may not be here to see that.

Volker Harun

There is an american natives' saying:
"Our children do not inherit our world - we have borrowed their world."