Overpass

Started by Dune, March 24, 2014, 04:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

We don't see much work with the displacable objects yet, so I thought to make one. First idea was to make a monorail, but it turned into a road. Will try to add a monorail at the side, would be fun.

archonforest

Great idea and nicely done ;)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Kadri

Nice idea Ulco!
I have a WIP scene in that i use those objects too.
I think actually nearly everything can be done with them.
With node parenting animating them could be much easier too even.

j meyer

Cool,I especially like the edge profile.Combined objects?

Dune

No, the side edge is just a displacement restricted by height, the upper edge is restricted by warped simple shape, same as the lines.

I've been looking for a model of one of these 'hanging maglevs' (like in Myst), but didn't find any. I might make one, nice challenge. Otherwise I will put one on top of this line.

Kadri

Ulco i have one question.
I tried to displace a displaceable cube or sphere etc.
When i displace them on one side the opposite side is displaced to the reverse too.
Am i overlooking something or does have your objects the same displacement on the underside too for example?

Dune

I restricted the displacement either by simple shape or by height. The latter you need if you only want to displace the top for instance.  Or a combination. And you can try displacement by displacement shader, by masked surface shader's offset, or it's displacement tab, or by vector displacement shader...... lots of possibilities. And final position or position in terrain, depending on where you are in the line of nodes.
Looking forward to your render, Kadri.

Kadri

I see thanks Ulco!
What me confused was i thought at first when we displace one side of a long plate (cube) up for example
i thought in the same way as other objects behave in 3D programs like Lightwave in that that part should go up on all sides at ones.
But it behaves more like a planet that is displaced from the center up in two sides ; north and south from the center for example.
Not sure if that makes sense.
To me the displaceable objects do look more like milled small planets in that aspect and kinda confusing at first in that way :)

Dune

I don't quite see how you mean that; it works the same as with the planet (so in a way, you're right), you just have to restrict the displacement by whatever means, and you can check it with a color.

choronr

Very good project Ulco.

Dune

2 more...

N-drju

Hey... I know that guy! ;D
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

TheBadger

This last one reminds me of some survival horror genres video game, which I enjoy.
It has been eaten.

choronr

And, the lighting on both are very good.

Dune

I still have to finish the train, the windows are a bit distorted. And I would like to hang it on a rail with a few wheels, or something. The main problem is to hang the rail onto a series of (procedural) stands, or whatever you call them. I don't think a line of popped object can be warped (yet). I'll get the brain working again...