Nature's Brushes

Started by choronr, June 08, 2014, 02:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

The goal of this image was to put some newly created displaced sphere objects as boulders, cover them with moss and put them into the scene.

Ran into a few issues (mostly my own stupidity) of not being able to get the moss to populate correctly; but, with the help of Dune, mhaze and Oshyan, I was able to correct what I was doing.

With the latest TG3 update of some months ago, we learned about gaining the ability to populate objects onto an object made me think of creating a Mossy rock. So the project began. In this scene, I used FrankB's 'Hero Rock' (which is a Sphere object) from the NWDA 'Stones Pack'. For the Moss, I used the ND01_Grass3_v4.tgo (NWDA/Walli)  which I made very, very small with tight spacing. And, the Area lengths a and b are also small, surrounding the base of the rock.  Additionally, I added a Distribution shader to control the amount of coverage. You may use the Painted shader as a density in lieu of the Distribution shader. This combination seemed to work out nicely. I believe most any grass object would work as well.

One of the suggestions made by Oshyan was to utilize a Surface shader in combination with the grass object in order to attain ' favor depressions' (intersect underlying) so as to have the grass/moss appear only in the rock depressions and crevices. I haven't tried this yet but will be doing so.

Finally, I will make the above methods available in 'File Sharing' which uses Dune's .tgd setup of displacing the Spear object. See the link: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,18457.msg179345.html#msg179345

Enjoy.

yossam

Nice moss................... :)

choronr

Thanks Richard. You dropped in as I was placing the links on both sections.

bobbystahr

Well that was certainly a success...downloaded that  .tgd and off to try it out....thanks Bob

Bob
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

choronr

Thank you Bobby, hope you enjoy. Thinking that one could also create 'Lichen' on rock if we had a lichen model or something similar to it.

yossam

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

kaedorg

Bob that's a beauty and thanks for sharing the file with us.

David

choronr

Quote from: yossam on June 08, 2014, 03:59:47 PM
We do................................ :)

http://wallis-eck.de/2013/2013/05/project-lichen/
Richard, thanks for being observant. I must try this.

choronr

Quote from: kaedorg on June 08, 2014, 06:54:52 PM
Bob that's a beauty and thanks for sharing the file with us.

David
Thank you David. Looking forward with what you can do with it.

Jo Kariboo

Beautifull ! I very like this picture choronr !

choronr

Thank you Jo. Hope you can use the file and make some interesting scenes.

choronr

Oshyan

Beautiful image Bob. I don't think Intersect Underlying will actually work on *objects*, only on terrain, but it may be worth experimenting anyway.

- Oshyan