Stone Age

Started by Dune, July 04, 2014, 10:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Maybe punch a hole in one and have a squirrel peekin out, or some bird that lives in tree holes...If you can figger out how populate them with Walli's Lichen he uploaded a while back....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

D'oh prolly XFROG trees eh?...maybe make an alpha map for the hole...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

For such large trees procedural lichen is easier. I partly covered the fallen one with black rot and moss.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on July 27, 2014, 11:18:38 AM
For such large trees procedural lichen is easier. I partly covered the fallen one with black rot and moss.

Gotcha, broke a rule and didn't go full size so I missed that and you're right..looks good so maybe some on the North side of the standing one...and if it's an .obj maybe make some ivy crawling up it?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

j meyer

What bugs me most is the uniformity of the broken branches.
I'd go for less of them and with more variation.
And maybe a shorter one with almost no branches at all.

choronr

For me I think the dead trees look fine. They stand out and dominate because of their contrast against their green surroundings. As Bobby mentions, maybe some ivy/moss breaking up their surfaces would help. In all however, the scene looks fantastic!

masonspappy

Great image, and I thought the dead trees look fine, except for the several limbs that typically would have a more jagged  and random termination than what is here. Looks like you were limited by the low poly count at the end of the limb. Maybe bump up the  poly count to more easily approximate a busted tree limb?

Dune

Thanks, guys. I made some other trees, and I think they're much better.

choronr

Much, much better Ulco. Very realistic with the remnants of bark and the live vines.

Upon Infinity

Those new trees are great.  What do you use, SpeedTree?

Dune

choronr

If that is with the trial version, I think I'll give it a try.

mhaze

Excellent trees and a great piece of historical illustration

otakar

God, so much new stuff in one weekend. The latest trees are indeed much better, though still not perfect. I can still easily spot a few corners/bends that look unnatural. It also seems to be a wet environment, so you'd think there would be some growth on those trees. Some ivy type, perhaps, maybe a nest, too. I know you can improve this infinitely, but the scene is already very natural and interesting. Previously, I thought the village ground was too uniform and textureless, but you have taken care of that nicely. The swamp looks very good to me, too. I don't see why the client wouldn't be pleased :)