Spring Snow

Started by RogueNZ, September 03, 2014, 02:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogueNZ

New render, been through dozens of iterations but I'm at a point now where I am a bit sick of looking at essentially the same thing  :o

New: Updated render on page 2

Thanks for viewing.

Dune

Would you be interested in some comment or are you too tired of looking at it anyway?

Hannes

This is going to be great.
Some things to critisise if you don't mind: the first thing that caught my eyes was the overall regularity. The strata on the mountains look kind of unnatural although you seemed to have warped them. And the plant distribution could be a lot more chaotic. Maybe you can use a power fractal for the distribution. And the trees would imho look better with some colour and size variation.

Dune

RogueNZ

Cheers, always open to suggestions. Points noted and agree with them completely!

archonforest

Nevertheless I like the overall view ;)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Kadri

Looks nice and with the suggestions it could be better.

bobbystahr

Great leap off point, agree with all the preceding suggestions...love the massive-ness of it over all...Bobby likes BIG....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

RogueNZ

I am trying to enhance the terrain in world machine, so I want to increase the resolution, but I cant get it to fit the original extents of the terrain :/ The fundamental problem is the very low resolution of the base terrain, but I am having no luck getting world machine to output a terrain of the same size into a .ter file.

Edit: Thought about the problem some more and worked it out - now to learn how to make my hills look nicer!

Hannes

If you use a .ter file you can increase the fractal detail in TG.

RogueNZ

Yeah I am finding I am having a lot more luck adding detail within TG than I am in world machine. Surfacing is definitely something I need to work on though so I'll keep trying. Thanks for the suggestions

Tangled-Universe

You can detail your terrain in various ways in WM.

You can either just add some fractals to it which adds more sauce to your terrain which you can then erode further.

What you can also do is:

1) open a new project
2) in project world settings change the main extent from 8x8 to 16x16 or even 32x32km.
3) load .ter file with file input device and use the quick scaling tool to fit the 16x16 or 32x32km extent.
4) detail a tiny bit with and expand the terrain with the expander, but use very small amounts to just create a slightly larger starting "volume" to erode away.
5) erode using both filters (avoid sharp artefacts, so do NOT use inverse filter and set interpolation to smooth instead of linear)
6) calculate the thing @ 4k or even 8k if memory allows (preserve memory function is king)
7) export all erosion maps and heightfield

Import all the stuff into TG and use the erosion masks to mask TG PF displacement and strata.
For example, exclude strata from erosion channels by inverting the "flow mask" from the erosion device.
(thus use "invert mask" in the strata shader)

Why do I resize the terrain extent to 16x16 or 32x32? Because I feel WM's erosion has a kind of fixed resolution.
In a 2x2km extent the erosion channels are small, sharp, straight and deep, while in a 32x32km extent they are more organic and the erosion channels "start" in lots more places.
In overall I feel you get more detail this way.

Anyway, a lot of info...good luck :)

RogueNZ

Cheers, some very valuable info there. I can see what you mean about the fixed resolution of the erode in WM. Also I hadn't thought about using the flow mask to mask the strata in TG, I have just been masking using PF's and by slope. So much possibility  :)

RogueNZ

Updated render, taking into consideration everyone's suggestions. Still not perfect, but this render had been trying to render that bottom section for over 20 hours and I also realized that I had forgotten to turn on a population  :-\

I have a new i7 machine coming this week, so I'll do some reworking and render after I have put it together. I tried to put a bit more variation in the grass but it didn't show through very well, and I think the trees could do with some work. Might put some rocks or a dead tree in the foreground to break it up too.

Suggestions more than welcome  :) Apologies for the obnoxiously large file size, I must be doing something wrong as there is still quite a bit of compression distortion going on.

Hannes

Much better now!! A bit too crisp in my opinion?!