"Last lights" short animation project (finished movie in page 17)

Started by Kadri, September 17, 2014, 10:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Small 2 WIP images. They will not look like you see them here most probably.
The last big scene that i added as i said above is rendering now.3 days or so.

After that one it is getting them together in Sony Vegas and Hitfilm.
It is more then 1 year now. Took longer then i thought. But i feel closer now.

TheBadger

2nd image^^ Looks like "chronicles of riddick"!  8) Only with a "event horizon" twist. Kinda scary looking.
Looks really good.
It has been eaten.

Kadri

I wasn't going to use that image as it is. But i liked it too.
I think 2-3 seconds of it wouldn't be hard to squeeze into the animation...hopefully :)

Kadri

I changed some things after the render and it is re-rendering ones again one part of the last scene.
The image below is a little color graded but still not what it will look in the final animation.But looks close.
This is the same method i used earlier just a little more complicated.
These are only Terragen cloud layers.No polygons.

TheBadger

QuoteThese are only Terragen cloud layers.No polygons.
I still don't get that.  :o
It has been eaten.

Kadri

Look at this post (and probably at the whole thread if you will). There is a file attached Michael:

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,12124.msg122025.html#msg122025

With an image texture (or with procedurals as others made before) and appropriate cloud settings you can make clouds look like solids basically.

Dune

Cool effect, Kadri! How about rendertime with such thick cloud? And how about just displacing the planet with the image map?

Kadri

Thanks Ulco.

There are 13 cloud layers with big image files like some 10 000x10 000 or smaller ones and 8 different  6 000x6 000 image sequences.
It takes around 1 hour for every frame. Detail 3 and AA is 12.
I am sick of noise and used these settings to be absolutely sure. Size is 1920x960.
I think it is actually very fast rendering with those settings and all.

A planet approach could be made depending on the scene but these structures are very sharp and steep and the camera begins a little closer.
Ulco you know those kind of displacements are a little more problematic so i found a cloud approach easier in that aspect.

Beside that, i wanted to see an animated version of my old scene ;)

Edit: I should add that the most important factor for fast render time in this scene is the "Step optimisation" option in the "Quality" tab of the cloud nodes probably. It is 20 (you can use higher numbers too as in many other parts in Terragen) in all layers. But the look of the clouds can get very sliced and may or may not work everywhere.   

Oshyan

Your render settings are pretty crazy considering if you're using AA12, then I assume you're using Defer Atmo (if you're *not* using Defer Atmo then AA12 is completely unnecessary and having little effect, just adding to render time). If you *are* using Defer Atmo, then Detail 3 is completely unnecessary as Detail has no effect on atmo quality when Defer Atmo is enabled. ;) So, use one or the other (high Detail without Defer, or high AA *with* Defer), but not both.

Still, surprisingly good render times. But probably mostly because of the high step optimization. That is a setting we would definitely *not* recommend you use in normal cloud situations, nor in animations. In your case it may be working, and that's great if it is because it's making your very high render settings actually not take forever. But for anyone else not rendering a crazy Borg planet thing, we'd recommend leaving Step Optimization at 0. :D

- Oshyan

Kadri

LOL not surprised Oshyan.
I will take a look for the settings you recommend.Curious.
When i render with Lightwave i know how i should use the render settings in most cases.
Strangely with Terragen i still feel the need to go to the maximum.
Like an amateur architect that out of fear uses too much steel for his buildings :)

Edit: No "Defer Atmo" by the way. It took too long to render.
        But that was in one of the old test renders. So i have no clue how it would affect now.

AP

That mechanical planet is ominous and complex. These are some very interesting techniques using clouds.    8)

Kadri

Oshyan with Detail 3 and AA 6 the render time is 2 times or so faster and it might be enough for the final render.
Detail 3 and AA 4 is not good and just a little faster.
Testing is hard because nothing is still. The clouds are animated too.
Even the "Step optimisation" might be a factor because from some angles you can see the slices and they change the look too etc.
Not much time and made all these tests in a hurry. "Defer atmo" needs more tests.

So just to be sure i will settle on Detail 3 and AA 8 without "Defer atmo".
That is still much faster then my original settings.
Hope you are a little more happy with those settings Oshyan  ;D

Oshyan

Hehe, fair enough, sounds reasonable given your tests. Looking forward to seeing the results!

- Oshyan

DocCharly65

I can only marvel at.
Amazing technique.