"Last lights" short animation project (finished movie in page 17)

Started by Kadri, September 17, 2014, 10:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Kadri

Yes :)

I took a break for 2-3 months, after working a very long time on it.
But i have begun to work again and i am on the last scene now.
There are still some small changes like adding small moving objects on some scenes but they are not hard to do.
Then adding sound and music etc. So it might take 1 month at least and maybe more to finish Michael.

How is your project going on?

Kadri

Just for proof i just uploaded this video Michael :)
One of the basic ones.
This is full HD.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Dune

Cool, good that you're back onto it, Kadri!

Kadri

Nobody complained about the last scene. It is not 3D actually.
It is the same old image i made in Terragen and shared here.
I just made the canvas a little bigger and made 3 layers in Hitfilm.
2 layers of the image itself (the towers with the ground and the background) and one layer of clouds for the lower left part (4 cloud layers actually).
All other elements and animation are made in Hitfilm.
Had sooo long render times in some scenes that i wanted this one so fast i can :)

Hannes

Cool, Kadri! Why choose the hard way, when you can get similar results using layers?
I never heard of Hitfilm before. I just had a look at there website and it seems to be quite interesting. Would this be an alternative to After effects? How steep is the learning curve? That's always something that keeps me from using new software. It usually takes awfully long until you can work the way you want. At least for me, since I'm a slow learner unfortunately.

Kadri

Thanks Hannes.

You know recommending software is hard.
My experience was very nice.
I got from opening Hitfilm to making a scene so fast it was surprising.
I think the main factor for this was the standard old school layering approach.
If you have used any software like Photoshop,After effects etc. it is very easy to use despite the first very different looking GUI you see when you first open it.

You can make high quality work.
But i think it does have still many small and big problems especially for guys who are used to the bigger-older programs that they will see Hitfilm more for the Hobbyist kind of guys...for now.
But for the right scene it is very easy and fast to use and there are many good tutorials.
I watched 2-3 video tutorials and was ready to go in one day.
And it is very fast developing too.

Take a look at this tutorial and you will want to install and play with it immediately probably :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdv0v_of1tg

bobbystahr

Gonna have to look into that, thanks Kadri.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Kadri

A little update:

Test or not i wasn't pleased with one scene and disregarded it and made a new scene.
The old one was even at a test level not good for my taste.
The new one is kind of complex and new for me so it takes a little longer then i anticipated.

This is the scene i trow away:

[attach=1]

This was the same but original one:

[attach=2]

The original needed more work too but i don't like the new wide format version.
The composition is bad and would need more work. The vertical composition in the old one looked better to me.
Even animated i didn't liked the newer version. So this one is out.

In the completely new scene i made, i had a very big object in the background with too much displacement
and the laptop where one part of that scene rendered crashed at a certain point even with 16 GB Ram.
I rendered then only the background with that object in lightwave and used a poor mans compositing approach
by using the rendered images in the background node in Terragen.
I am still not comfortable with using passes-render elements as it should be(A good tutorial would be nice). But hey it works :)

One third of this new scene is finished.

See you soon hopefully here ones again :)

Kadri

By the way i used the first time the FBX export from Terragen to Lightwave.
It was only for the camera but it worked very nicely.

bobbystahr

Really like this scene and the tall as opposed to wide format
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Kadri

:)
The tall ones composition is better. With different cloud lighting and ground it would be better probably.Anyway moving on.