Post-Glacial

Started by Dune, October 09, 2014, 02:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Dune on October 24, 2014, 05:07:50 AM
I don't think it would really be very useful, as the image will be printed in a book at 300dpi and not viewed on screen at 100%. I mean, a lot of the really fine detail will be lost in the 'crude' dots of ink when printed anyway. I think. But it's worth a try, and if it doesn't take days to render, I'm fine with it.

Yeah I see your arguments there, but if you read many photography websites you'll see that they value 1:1 pixel detail/sharpness for large scale prints (probably meaning anything over 50-75cm wide).
It remains to be seen though how much is true of that, it's the internets right.
So I think you may be right.

It would actually be nice to test that some time with a capable inktjet printer.
I did some printing of TG work and I must say that it usually looks better printed than on screen :) Your idea too?

Dune

Well, the group wasn't very thrilled with these birdseye views, but said it was their own fault. They wanted this, but never realized it's kind of boring. I knew it, and hope they will switch to a series of more detailed, lower POV images of the different eras. More interesting to make, though a bit of waste of time working on these wide vistas. We'll see.... to be continued anyway.

TheBadger

Quoteit usually looks better printed than on screen

I think everything looks better printed than on screen! assuming a competent printer was used, or one does a good job them selves.

Printing is the only way to make sure everyone who looks at it sees the same thing.

I like the bird eye views Ulco, I can't imagine how you would really feel it a waste of time? Maybe you just mean in a business sense? Time is money kind of thing? Sure lower more detail is better, but those are pretty nice.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Well, at least I learned some things of it, and I liked making them, but in terms of profitability it was a waste of time. Doesn't really bother me though. Going ahead full steam...

Dune

OK, here's a first iteration of a low POV for Post-Glacial. I'm adding more grasses, changing the colors (forgot to check world position somewhere), making some new arctic low stuff as well. It will be rendered at ~8500px wide, so quite a lot of detail will be visible up front.

The high stuff are juniper, but I have to make some smaller versions as well.

Just finished a bigger portion of the front. The only thing that bothers me (well, maybe more to come) is the sand color creeping up on the rocks here and there.

choronr

Fine work Ulco, especially like the close up of third image. Much detail here with the grasses and flowering plants.

Dune

Thanks. Another crop just finished. I'm going to make ephedra distachya, which will be fun.

choronr

Very nice image and detail.

That is a very nice plant Ulco; and, comes in a number of varieties. I'd like to see you try Raolia Lutescans which grows in NZ and in Greenland I think.

zaxxon

Dune

I need to find out what vegetation is actually present in these sandy, dry slightly higher areas, as it has to be as scientifically correct (for the Netherlands) as possible. So, no NZ/Greenland plants, I'm afraid. By the way, That's a plant that is more easily done procedurally, I think. Too small and fine.
Stagnant water may in time produce bogs, but probably not in this depicted time.

choronr

You're right, it is best to stick with the authentic flora of the land. I do get taken up with vegetation that has the smoothness of moss yet displays minute textures and spreads and conforms to the shape of the terrain.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 16, 2014, 11:27:16 AM
Thanks. Another crop just finished. I'm going to make ephedra distachya, which will be fun.

XFROG makes one in their Red Sea collection. ephedra distachya is sea grape according to Mr Google so it may not be appropriate.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Mr Google gave me this

A number of plant species which grew in the Netherlands during the Weichsel are still found in Northern Europe and in the Alps; they moved their territory behind the receding glaciers. Dryas octopetala (white dryas), Saxifraga oppositifolia (purple saxifrage) and Salix retusa (creeping willow) are some examples.

http://www.zeeinzicht.nl/vleet/index.php?id=3207&template=template-vleeteng&language=2&item=Weichsel-glacial
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

inkydigit

Love the lichen/mossy rocks, beautiful detailing...
:)