Square rocks II

Started by Dune, November 07, 2014, 11:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choronr

I recall of sometime ago, efflux did some formations similar this. Link: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,15365.0.html

Dune

Encountered a problem here, as I need a compute terrain to get the squares right, but that changes the mask for the path after the CT. Maybe I made a mistake...
Also, even these squares actually need an angled restriction, or you get these diagonals.

j meyer

These diagonals are due to the structure of the noise and one can't
get rid of them totally.
But there is something you can do to mitigate the effect and that is
using a transform shader to push or drag the noise gently in small
increments and/or rotate it slightly.

choronr

Notwithstanding the issues you describe, it looks pretty good to me. I like the conservative strata here as well.

TheBadger

It has been eaten.

Dune

Thanks Jochen. I know, I already have one to mitigate the effect towards the camera, though you can only remove them quite totaly with an angled mask. Nailed the path masking problem, by the way.

Dune

Another view and up to something else again...

choronr

These are outstanding. The first shows many shades of light on the surfaces. The second displays beautiful arrangement of vegetation. The surfaces, path and human figures are very interesting.

j meyer

Could you possibly explain what you mean by angled mask?
Is that something like masking the weather side of a mountain
or so?

N810

Hmmm... wonder what this button does....

Hannes

mhaze

Dune

Thanks guys. These square rocks (though a bit obscure in the latest) are really a great thing to use. I've got another one cooking, which will be quite nice.

@Jochen; you're right. Read this http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,17370.msg168547.html#msg168547 and you'll get there  ;)

Dune

A bit different than I had in mind, but I'm not finished yet. Never mind the title, I make that before I start... it turned out more like an Iceland volcanic region.