Square rocks II

Started by Dune, November 07, 2014, 11:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alessandro

Excellent renders Ulco, I love all of them but especially this last you posted.
www.artstation.com/artist/alessandromastronardi
www.facebook.com/alessandromastronardi.wildlifeartist/?ref=bookmarks

Hannes

Holy cow, that looks amazing!!!
If only I knew, what you were doing to achieve this... :-[

choronr

I agree; luminous water, volcanic lava flows - and, those colors. And, doing these images in so short of time. You have a gift that we only dream about.

Dune

Well, I just work fast and know my way around TG (more or less) by now, and I have most of the day to experiment in between paying commissions. I sometimes work on 2 machines at the same time, changing something in one, start a test crop render, do something on another machine, start a crop as well, etc.
You can just merge several sizes of the square rock file (enlarged, rotated, etc), and displace normal and after smallpatch CT lateral, all masked by a PF or inversely by a stream SSS, add some strata shaders....
Had a meeting today and I have to get on with some detailed renders for the book (the post glacial thread), so no more playing perhaps. They will be fun, as they agreed on making low POV renders instead of the dull high ones  ;D

inkydigit

:o wow Ulco!
This is astonishing work, beautiful complexity....
Incredible realism
Though I'm still with Hannes!!
:)
Cheers
Jason

Mahnmut

Great renders!
If and when you are ready to share some of your method, I would love to use it on Mars.
Best Regards,
Jan

otakar

That's just crazy. I'm afraid I don't have the patience to experiment like this, or perhaps lack the focus. Usually I get lost in some detail and never get an idea to completion. Yes, I agree you have a gift. This latest one is just unbelievable. In my eyes this could easily be a contender in the contest at this point (if it were an actual entry of course).

Kadri

The others are nice too but the last one looks great.

Hetzen

Quote from: Dune on November 13, 2014, 02:50:42 AM
A bit different than I had in mind, but I'm not finished yet. Never mind the title, I make that before I start... it turned out more like an Iceland volcanic region.

Stunning. Works alright that. You've blended it really well.

zaxxon

That is one of the finest digital portrayals of Nature that I have ever seen. Beyond excellent, a stunning example of the potential of Terragen. Ulco, that is a sensational, masterful, sublime creation.

Tangled-Universe

Wow Ulco, that last one is just incredible!

Dune

Thanks guys. You can use the bias scalars to flatten the rounded rocks even more if needed. I changed them form 0.8.. something into 0.92. Then add/mix some sizes of the output, and use that to raise ground by normal (masked by PF), then add a CT small patch (1m), then add another surface shader where you can use a masked (and/or smaller=transform shader) version of the output to displace laterally. If you need a stream or river run through the blocky rocks, mask that out. I used the same warped stream to lower the ground a bit before the squares are displaced up. I used the inverse PF (for the squares) to get some fake stones in, so they appear where there are no square rocks, also used some height restriction. Also added small sized strata (partly masked by another small PF) to flatten and stretch some rocks. Oh yes, and also fractal warped the output a bit.

But I realized that I warped the streambed, so the upward displacement is affected by that. Even if you displace up from a certain height, it will have the warped base. So now I want to displace from unwarped. Another problem is the white spots, where displacement is overlapping. I figured it to be the atmosphere shining through the planet that you see, and tried to get rid of the white by adding another (black) planet inside the planet as a block off. But that didn't work, and I wonder why....

Tangled-Universe

What happens if you increase displacement tolerance to 2 or 3? Do the white gaps disappear/change?

Hetzen

Good point Martin. When I've used this sort of noise for big displacements, sometimes things get cut off at the bucket square. Changing displacement tolerence seems to fix things. Not sure if it's the same problem Ulco is facing.

Dune

Ah, yes, haven't tried that yet. Thanks. Let's...

EDIT: no, even 2 doesn't obliterate the spots. I still wonder where they come from.

By the way, you have to add one or two color adjusts to manipulate the coverage of the square output as well...