Square rocks II

Started by Dune, November 07, 2014, 11:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Can't think of anything else as a title, so here you go.

zaxxon

Pretty exciting to see these shapes incorporated into TG images. I see examples of these forms in many of my favorite areas of Northern California, and would really like to utilize these in future compositions. Here's a photo (poor quality - sorry) of just such an area. Could these techniques maybe find an NWDA home?

Dune

If the noise guys don't object, why not. It's still pretty complicated though, and I'm looking for easier and more natural ways. Basically, you just use them (several sizes) to lateral displace, masked by a (few) power fractal(s) or other constraints for uneven coverage, and after a compute terrain with small patch size (1 or 2m). Not spilling the rest of what I did here, but with this you can have a go yourself...

choronr

@ Dune: Good application of the rectangular noise. This is evident in many places throughout our planet. Yes, a more simple way to achieve this in TG would be welcome.

@ zaxxon: Nice representation of nature's process.

bla bla 2

Hello, Ulco.

It was what I wanted to do for the waterfall in the canyon, could you help me to understand how to do it by myself please ?

Bastien,

Dune

Basically it's a simple shape that makes the river/fall area, and you use it as a mask to not have strong displacements (like the strata). You have to make it so it sits on the place where your fall will be of course. So, make a simple soft terrain, find a nice place for a fall, put your simple shape there and add more differentiation inversely masked by that simple shape and you have a soft riverbed in the rough terrain. Use the same mask through a color adjust (to decrease and harden coverage) to add waterlike colors and structures (like the strata, blue whites and shine in my example). In my case it's all in one line to the planet, no water shader. You can warp the simple shape if you like, but it isn't necessary.
This should do it...

Dune

More experimentation, but the rocks are still not hard and flat enough, though the top edge left is getting a bit to what I want.

Hannes

That looks already fantastic, Ulco!!

choronr

Another formation in Carefree, Arizona.

Dune

Thanks for the examples, Bob.

choronr

That is looking great Ulco.

j meyer

otakar