Sub surface scattering again...

Started by Hannes, November 26, 2014, 06:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

If you have a gloss map, it makes sense to use this as an inverted specular roughness map (the default shader has a checkbox to invert the roughness map). Gloss maps aren't intended to be used as reflectivity or specularity maps, but they can be used as inverted roughness maps. You'll want to increase the overall roughness parameter to about 0.8.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Hannes

Thanks for the explanation, Matt! Have to try this.

bobbystahr

So that's what that gloss map is for, was wondering....thanks Matt.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

j meyer

Thanks Matt,but I had tried what you suggest before I came to this solution
and I simply like this better.Really,I tried it with 0.8 and other values and
different map combinations etc.Didn't try the inversion,though,but I will
tonight.
The maps were made for the Unity engine maybe they are app-specific,don't know.
And I think I'm going to alter the gloss and depth maps,too.
A UVed depth map where the ears are as white as the nose is strange anyway.

Hannes

I have tried it.
I don't know if it really makes much of a difference (see attached image - additionally with a slightly color corrected diffuse map). The gloss map looks quite flat, so I increased the contrast. And I used a roughness of 0.5. With higher settings the reflectivity was almost completely gone.
I guess it sounds logical, what you said, Matt, but maybe Jochen is right and these maps are made for a specific use.

Hannes

Maybe there IS a difference. On this image you can see some silky overall glossiness, but some sharper highlights on the lips.

Hannes

Made a test with light from behind. I reduced ambient occlusion to 0.3 to make it look more natural.
Wonder why the nose is still slightly glowing. Or is it just a bit more red than the rest? Maybe he has a drinking problem? ;D

j meyer

Interesting subject.
Can't wait to do some more testing later today.
Just had a look at the settings they used for unity.
http://www.ten24.info/ten24/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Settings.jpg
But I can't really tell what's going on there.
Maybe you can make something out of it.

Matt

Quote from: Hannes on December 12, 2014, 11:29:23 AM
I have tried it.
I don't know if it really makes much of a difference (see attached image - additionally with a slightly color corrected diffuse map). The gloss map looks quite flat, so I increased the contrast. And I used a roughness of 0.5. With higher settings the reflectivity was almost completely gone.
I guess it sounds logical, what you said, Matt, but maybe Jochen is right and these maps are made for a specific use.

I would say the reflections are too strong in this image with 0.5 roughness. If 0.8 was too high, maybe 0.6 or 0.7?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

Man, this is looking surprisingly good. So when do we get to see a full character? :D

- Oshyan

TheBadger

Quote from: Oshyan on December 12, 2014, 05:39:41 PM
Man, this is looking surprisingly good. So when do we get to see a full character? :D

- Oshyan

Yeah, its very encouraging! Although, for the purpose of this thread it would make sense that the model be nude... Lets use a different, figure, for that.  ;D
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Hehe, yeah. I was thinking some sort of creature...

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on December 12, 2014, 01:04:32 PM
Made a test with light from behind. I reduced ambient occlusion to 0.3 to make it look more natural.
Wonder why the nose is still slightly glowing. Or is it just a bit more red than the rest? Maybe he has a drinking problem? ;D

Likely a drinking problem, from the sag of his mouth he's had a stroke.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Jochen, thanks for the link! This is really interesting, but at the moment I have no idea how we could use this in TG. But I'd really like to know what "Lookup: Translucency" and "Lookup: Map" (at the bottom of the image) means. The thumbnails look good.

Matt, I'll try that, maybe 0.65 works.

Oshyan and Michael, I'd really try this stuff with a full character. The Ten24 body scans aren't too expensive, so maybe I'll purchase one of them.

Dune

The latter are looking really excellent!