Sub surface scattering again...

Started by Hannes, November 26, 2014, 06:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Here is something I totally forgot. DandelO found a solution for creating at least some sort of sub surface scattering in MGebhart's thread:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,9668.15.html
For those who haven't read it: it's quite simple: create a default shader, set the diffuse color to something like 0.01 (you can also have a texture here) and then add a color to the translucency tab you want to have as "shine through" color. Then increase the translucency value to something like 100 to 300 depending on the size of the object.
It's far away from perfect, animations are flickering like hell. GI cache is a must, GI surface details destroy a bit of the illusion and it may not look good from each side. You need to do some tests.
In this case I just added a reflective shader for reflections. I guess there is a lot we can do with this.
Thanks to DandelO again!!!

Dune

But what if you just use the water shader (or the upcoming glass shader) with some mix of colors as density? That would, IMO, look kind of the same as doesn't have all these issues.

Hannes

But it would take much longer to render!

Dune

Hannes

Rendering a time comparison at the moment.

Hannes

Here it is (I disabled the water shader's reflection to save some more time). Of course, the results are quite different, but depending of what one wants to achieve, rendertimes are quite a big factor (as usual!)

Kadri

Quite different look and render time.Thanks for the file Hannes :)

Dune

Indeed, thanks for testing it, Hannes!

bobbystahr

Beauty, gotta play with that, with the Water shader the effect is quite lost...Well done Dandel0...and Ulco...the "coming glass shader"...I'm salivating....And thanks for the research Hannes
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

j meyer

Just for curiosity's sake,have you tried both combined also?

Hannes

No. And I don't really know what the benefit would be.

Hannes

Here is something to use this method for. As far as I know the water shader doesn't have this kind of water back scattering (I don't know how this is called... :()

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on November 26, 2014, 06:42:58 AM
Here is something I totally forgot. DandelO found a solution for creating at least some sort of sub surface scattering in MGebhart's thread:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,9668.15.html
For those who haven't read it: it's quite simple: create a default shader, set the diffuse color to something like 0.01 (you can also have a texture here) and then add a color to the translucency tab you want to have as "shine through" color. Then increase the translucency value to something like 100 to 300 depending on the size of the object.
It's far away from perfect, animations are flickering as hell. GI cache is a must, GI surface details destroy a bit of the illusion and it may not look good from each side. You need to do some tests.
In this case I just added a reflective shader for reflections. I guess there is a lot we can do with this.
Thanks to DandelO again!!!

as an aside, I really dig that model. Kind of a 3D Celtic knot....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

It's 3ds max's default torus knot displaced. Nothing really special  :)

TheBadger

WHAT the Hell!  :o

Some of this looks really great!
It has been eaten.