How would you go about this in TG?

Started by TheBadger, December 21, 2014, 03:09:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hey,

Curious how you would try to do something like this in TG. The only method that you can't use is vector maps (because I already thought of that way). So other than that, how would you think this can be done?

http://static4.cornucopia3d.net/galleries/albums/userpics/1195636/m%E4gi4.jpg
It has been eaten.

Dune

Nice. The only way I can think of is VDISP. Or a high poly object. Or very meticulous paintwork within TG with the painted shader and normal and lateral displacements, but a hell of a job then.

Oshyan

Eh, seems fairly do-able just with imported objects and bump maps. In fact if you look at the object edges (head, sphere), there doesn't seem to be real displacement going on anyway, right? So this is well within the realm of possibility for TG. Objects obviously made in another app, then imported, apply the same shaders to terrain and objects so they blend, add populations (now with Populate on Object), viola! Oh and the render quality would probably be better too. ;)

- Oshyan

TheBadger

You know, I think after reading and looking, that you are right, it is an object. And I think now that you say it, that the  terrain is an object too. Really have wanted to do something in this vain for a long time, and I am much better at modeling now than before, that maybe should be the way I try this when I can.

Thanks for the ideas.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Oddly enough when the Head first appeared I thought of this idea and set this up but forgot to render as it was an over niter. Here it is now.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

From the same source there's this tower image...a lot like the tower thread we had going...I guess this is Vue.

http://static3.cornucopia3d.net/galleries/albums/userpics/1396472/normal_SeaCliffs_small.jpg

gonna have to try something like this as well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Hey, nice man! The linked image wouldn't be too hard to do in TG.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 23, 2014, 11:08:03 AM
Hey, nice man! The linked image wouldn't be too hard to do in TG.

Thanks Ulco, and that's encouraging to hear...can't figure out how to displace that shape really, thinking start with a SS shader and go crazy I guess.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

j meyer

Yup,nice one Bobby!
Didn't someone do some rock tower in the sea
lately? The guy from russia,unfortunately I forgot
his name,sorry.He had an underwater scene,too.
Maybe he shared his file.

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on December 23, 2014, 12:28:50 PM
Yup,nice one Bobby!
Didn't someone do some rock tower in the sea
lately? The guy from russia,unfortunately I forgot
his name,sorry.He had an underwater scene,too.
Maybe he shared his file.

I dl'd that a while back but IIRC it's not a tower, just awesome water. Great texture on the rock as well but not a tower...maybe I'll model one in Bryce and import it as we can pop on imports and Bryce can turn out a pretty fine model..
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

j meyer

Thanks Kadri,that was the one I thought of. :)

Bobby,I'd go for the displaceable cube object,just elongate it
and then displace away.
Speaking of towers,how about a Marshall tower? ;) Rock on man.

bobbystahr

Quote from: j meyer on December 23, 2014, 01:37:07 PM
Thanks Kadri,that was the one I thought of. :)

Bobby,I'd go for the displaceable cube object,just elongate it
and then displace away.
Speaking of towers,how about a Marshall tower? ;) Rock on man.

Got one of those in Poser format but you won't catch my acoustic ears near one. At 66 I'm only bothered by some continual ringing from a feed back accident in the '80's...hope to keep as much hearing a I have as the old eyes are not up to snuff and one needs a warning system.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Hannes

That head looks fantastic, Bobby! Great idea!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on December 23, 2014, 03:01:32 PM
That head looks fantastic, Bobby! Great idea!

Thanks Hannes...as I'm quite colour blind I felt inadequate to participate in the reality tests; but as a 66 yr old hippie I'm quite good at ignoring convention.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New