What am I doing wrong?

Started by Brrrt, December 28, 2014, 02:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brrrt

Hi,

I got this model: http://www.cadnav.com/3d-models/model-11489.html  from a model sharing website, but no matter how I render it, I can't get the sailcolors working.
I tried normals on and off, different light directions. I converted the model to .obj, used the .mtl files in the proper folder and everything...
The TG preview shows the colors right, so that is even more confusing.

[attach=1]  [attach=2]  [attach=3]

[attach=4]

archonforest

Do u have the textures for the model?
Sometimes TG cannot use the textures just "out of the box". If u use Poseray (free prg) u can handle this and save the object correctly. After TG takes it okay. I had the same problem but Poseray helped me out in the majority of times. :)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Brrrt

Yes,

And you can see them in the preview window. (And in all the shaders that use them)

archonforest

Well then not sure.
I still would try to load the object into Poseray or similar to see if actually the textures are really okay.
The only time I had this problem when the textures were messed up.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Kadri

I had no problem with that file.
The colors in the sail are very close after i imported the OBJ file from Poseray.
With that dark scene it might be harder to see the difference.
Make the colors more pronounced or make the scene lighter you will see that there isn't much a problem.

Brrrt

You can see it clearly with the right textures in the preview window in TG..
Even with the sun straight on it. Just not in the rendering.

Kadri

That isn't a one to one preview.
Try what i said and you will see the only thing that you should do is play with the colors-textures only.
Do you want a render to trust me? :)

Like this one?

[attachimg=1]

Kadri

Not sure if you know this.
If you use  the number 1 or 2 (double click on it) option on the Object node you will get inside it (below image "01").
There is a "Parts shader" node.
If you go ones again inside it in the same way then you will see all the shader parts of the object where you can change the texture ,colors etc. (image below "02").

Oshyan

Objects in the 3D preview are shaded simplistically by OpenGL, they are not treated exactly as the renderer will render them. So the results can differ. sometimes dramatically as seems to be occurring in this particular case.

- Oshyan