Iceland first snow

Started by kalwalt, January 23, 2015, 12:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Definitely an improvement! It does make the shape of your background mountain look a bit strange though (I'm sure the shape was always there, but the noisy snow hid it). It's good to have strata for Iceland, but maybe see if you can find a way to break it up a bit and add variation? I'm still really loving that waterfall, tremendously successful!

- Oshyan

Dune

That's what I said a few posts back, break up the strata with a power fractal, it would make the back mountain less conspicuous. But you're surely getting there!

kalwalt

Quote from: Oshyan on February 04, 2015, 06:12:05 PM
Definitely an improvement! It does make the shape of your background mountain look a bit strange though (I'm sure the shape was always there, but the noisy snow hid it). It's good to have strata for Iceland, but maybe see if you can find a way to break it up a bit and add variation? I'm still really loving that waterfall, tremendously successful!

- Oshyan

Quote from: Dune on February 05, 2015, 03:22:13 AM
That's what I said a few posts back, break up the strata with a power fractal, it would make the back mountain less conspicuous. But you're surely getting there!

Thank you Oshyan for the words! :) I love the waterfall too, i have new ideas to realize: i saw this picture http://www.nationalgeographic.it/dal-giornale/2012/05/14/foto/leggende_d_islanda-990567/8/#media and i would realize with TG.  Yes, @Dune as you said the strata background need a modification. i tried the other days but the shaders i used i think didn't change anything.
I think it depend where you plug the shader; i tried before compute normal shader, will try before planet shader. 
Terragen 3 creative + animation license
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Dune

There's a masking input in the strata shader, add a power fractal there and don't use too small smallest size (sizes maybe 50/200/10 or so). Play with the color offset and contrast of the PF colors.

kalwalt

Quote from: Dune on February 05, 2015, 05:01:03 AM
There's a masking input in the strata shader, add a power fractal there and don't use too small smallest size (sizes maybe 50/200/10 or so). Play with the color offset and contrast of the PF colors.
Now i get it!  ;) I forgot that the strata shaders are in an internal network inside "color vary and cracks". This is a partial rendering, i will experiment with different options. Maybe there is much snow because i modified the snow offset displacememnt, actually i don't remember, i have to check this.
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

kalwalt

This is another test rendering. Did you notice any difference with the previuos one? Now strata are less noticeable... i masked both of the strata shaders, with vertical displeacement, perlin ridges, scale(50,200,10), no values colour changed.
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

ADE

that "mountain wall" in the distance don't do it for me, the waterfall is great, but need to be narrowed?....the grass(greenery) is too saturated, but others may disagree....the lighting needs to be moved so that a few crevices can be more pronounced, there again with a hi quality render, may look different again

kalwalt

Quote from: Terrade on February 05, 2015, 11:06:42 AM
that "mountain wall" in the distance don't do it for me, the waterfall is great, but need to be narrowed?....the grass(greenery) is too saturated, but others may disagree....the lighting needs to be moved so that a few crevices can be more pronounced, there again with a hi quality render, may look different again
I chose that point of view because i wouldn't do only a picture of a waterfall but also to show the landscape around, maybe i can try a vertical size of view to catch more the fall than other. Regarding the greenery i saw many iceland picture very saturated (but could be an enhancement postwork), very difficult to change the position of the light, could be unpredictable due to the clouds, but probably  higher rendering with more pixels, detail level and AA, as you say may look different.

EDIT->question: how can i set Tg for a vertical render? i need to choose the size in the render shader and also change the vertical fov in the camera shader?
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Dune

The sizes of tha fractal breaking the strata have depend on the actual size of the mountain. If it's huge, use larger numbers in the masking pf, or the variation of strata-nostrata will be too fine.

Artby

kalwalt

I added some clouds-fogs near the mountain and in the lake, but they make a strange result, especially near the shore they seems lighter, maybe i need to decrease the density? Another issue: the grass seem very dark, i plugged a power fractal shader to modulate the colour, i choose a light colour, this seem strange like it was without texture. I thinking to move (or delete) the boulder on the right of the corner's picture maybe near the lake. I m also doing some different rendering with another different point of view, to find other possibilities, but it remains little time...
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Oshyan

With Population Tint you usually need to use the Diffuse Color Multiplier to help avoid the darkening effect. Try values of 2 or 3.

- Oshyan

kalwalt

Quote from: Oshyan on February 06, 2015, 01:34:06 PM
With Population Tint you usually need to use the Diffuse Color Multiplier to help avoid the darkening effect. Try values of 2 or 3.

- Oshyan

Thank you Oshyan, i will try it. :)
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

kalwalt

Small changes but now fov 22 instead of 28, i think is more interesting. Increased colour (multiplied) for the grass pop, but i have to look again. And because changed fov i need more grass in some parts. Still to work! :D
WorldMachine
3Dcoat

Dune

The clouds are a good addition. I wouldn't lighten the grass to much, I like it like this. Did you test parts in high resolution already?